We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

Hello,

I initialy plan to buy T-Mobile Tourist plan with 2 GB LTE Tourist plan that I want to put into a mifi / hotspot device, so my family can use it together. But by googling around, it seems the Tourist plan does not support for such 'hot spot' application

Can anyone recommend what prepaid mobile service that I can buy for this purpose. The mifi dongle is 'unlocked'', meaning it can work with any mobile operator in my home country.

TIA

10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

T-Mobile's least expensive Simply Prepaid plan for $45 incl 4gb data and tethering. That's what I use on all my visits.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

thanks so much Lenny.. I'm looking for that info..

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

You must be looking at mobile broadband and I think you’ll be better with the T Mobile tourist plan for your phone as you’ll get local calls and international texts as well as unlimited data and tethering.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/marketing-modul…

All the best.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 10:36 am
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

it is not for phone.. it is for hotspot device, or "mifi" what we call it. It is a cigarette box size device, you put a sim card in it, and 10 people can use it as a hotspot together.

If you put in your bag, your family can enjoy it while taking a bus, train.. whatever.

We don't need voice or text.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

No problem Arsu, I do know what a mifi device is, I’ve got one myself for work that’s why I said you must be looking at mobile broadband. If that’s what you want, that’s fine, I was just offering you an alternative. Also when you say

>> If you put in your bag, your family can enjoy it while taking a bus, train.. whatever <<

You can do that with a phone as well using personal hotspot.

All the best.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 12:31 pm
Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

I used a Mi-Fi device for a while. You can go through 2 GB of data very quickly, and even 4 GB of data quickly. Once you use up the quota, they bump you down to a very slow speed, possibly "1X" speed which is roughly equivalent to a 56k modem. So if you are planning to have your whole family using this device as a hotspot, you are going to need to buy as much high-speed data as you can afford.

Keep in mind that this device will only work where you are receiving a cell phone signal. In other words, in remote areas such as mountains or deserts far away from cities, you won't have a cell phone signal and thus the Mi-Fi won't do anything either.

Also keep in mind that most hotels or motels you will be staying at offer wi-fi as part of the amenities of staying at the hotel. The speed and responsiveness of the wi-fi can vary and it can become pretty slow if everyone in the hotel is trying to use it at the same time. But normally it is included free as part of the benefits of staying at the hotel or motel.

Also note that there is free wi-fi at a large number of locations, including most if not all McDonalds', all Starbucks, most if not all Wendy's, and almost all public libraries. Smaller coffee houses not part of a national chain generally have wi-fi but usually, in order to get the password you must buy a cup of coffee or something.

When spending a large amount of money on an international vacation to a place far from where you live, I would encourage you to try to detach from the electronic world as much as you can. You may need to check for messages during your trip, but during the daytime and while driving, I would recommend shutting off the devices and enjoying the scenery instead.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

StephenC..post#5 thanks for confirming. what product did you use with your mifi ? Tourist plan or the one that is suggested by Lennybruce post #1 ? 2 GB is kind of little quota, I am thinking Simply Prepaid 4 GB should be enough for 10 days.

post #6: I intend to use it mainly for Googlemap, to check bus route, bus stops and to order Uber/Lyft... My teens will probably want to check it their instagram.. I guess Uber/Lyft can work perfectly with Mifi.. ? as long as they dont call the number

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

I always get a SIM card for my phone with data, usually AT&T or T-Mobile and friends I’ve travelled with do the same. Cost has been between $40 and $60. Next trip I’ll likely be using the T-Mobile Tourist Plan. I’ve never bothered with mobile broadband in a seperate device, mifi, wifi or otherwise when travelling. I don’t actually use my work device at home that often either as my tablets and phones have plenty of data.

Compared to Australia, phone plans are about double the price in the USA but it’s handy to have although I do agree with the previous comments to make sure you and your family are looking at the scenery and not your devices so maybe something a little less convenient might be a good idea.

All the best.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 3:25 pm
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

It's mainly for Uber, the bus / check stops / transit applications. It's kind of challenging in SF and LA, unlike several European cities we visited last year. and Google streetmap for directions...

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?

just to bookmark here Simply Prepaid Plan that allows as hot spot...

https:/…

Reply to: Tethering / hotspot with mobile device ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted