We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

Tauranga, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

We will be visiting San Francisco for two days during the first week of July and am really keen to visit Yosemite including the giant sequioas in the area. Due to time constraints, I think a one-day guided tour ex-San Francisco is the best option.

Any suggestions or pointers please?

If you have done a similar tour ( or know of someone who has) could you please recommend a tour operator?

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

2 days is too short to see SF and doing what could be a 10 hour drive RT in our Summer to YNP to spend a few hours there sounds like not much fun

But look at extranomical or incredible adventure

Good luck

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,345 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

Only sometimes will a tour operator include a hike into a grove of Giant Sequoias; most tours are just to Yosemite Valley. I recommend adding more time to your visit so that you can enjoy SF for three days and can drive for an overnight to Yosemite NP.

Do you know about our 4th of July holiday?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

If you’re only staying in SF for 2 days (1 night) I’d let go of the idea of visiting Yosemite. As noted above you’ll lose an entire day, spending most of it looking out the windows of a bus. With uninspiring scenery for much of the trip. There is more than enough in SF to fill your time. If you absolutely must see redwoods there’s Muir Woods just to the north of the city, but be aware that you’ll need reservations to go on that as well and it will also take up a lot of your limited time.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,521 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite

I've taken two of those day trips, and if you want to see Sequoias, check with Extranomical as I don't think any of the other companies include the giant trees. The tour I went on stopped at one of the Sequoia groves where there was time to hike down a dirt road to the grove and back up. But it is a stinking long day -- 14+ hours, with maybe 2 hours of free time.

If this is a bucket list item, then go ahead, but consider that if you have 2 full days (3 nights) in SF, you're using half your time to spend maybe an hour seeing Sequoias. If your stay in SF is less than that, the math is even worse...

Reply to: Day trip from San Francisco to Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted