We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California School Holidays

7 posts
Save Topic
California School Holidays

I am thinking of visiting San Fran, Los Angeles and San Diego in July. Seeing that it is the summer school holidays I am wondering what the influx of school kids will be like.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
7 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,804 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California School Holidays

All are large enough cities that they're not overwhelmed with vacationing families, as a whole. Specific destinations will be at their busiest, of course, like Disneyland. Beaches are busy with locals and visitors if it's hot. (If you're familiar with the UK, it's not like going to St. Ives in summer, where the crowds pack the streets near the harbor.)

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: California School Holidays

Thank you for the heads up. My two main attractions I am concerned about would be Alcatraz and USS MIdway Naval museum in San Diego? Seeing that you are a local would you mind if I pick your brains re best hotels and areas to stay etc. if I decide to come. Looking at next month.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California School Holidays

My preference for San Francisco is to stay in Union Square. It’s an active shopping area, centrally located, with different hotels at a range of prices. We’ve stayed at a budget hotel there that we liked and at a normal business hotel featuring a good price on a holiday weekend.

In this forum you can get good recommendations if you give information on your budget.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 11:13 am
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,870 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: California School Holidays

Thanks mate, I appreciate your recommendations. I'd like to tapout at $ 200 a night if possible

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,804 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California School Holidays

Alcatraz is sold out every day, so holidays, weekends are no busier on the island than any other day (other than mid-week in February, perhaps). The only question is how soon you have to buy tickets. For summer, book them as soon as they go on sale, 90 days in advance. If you want fewer people on the island, go on the first boat over, or take the night tour (if offered on that day). The night tours book up even faster than the day tours.

For best areas to stay and hotel recommendations, go to the SF Forum and look to the right (on a full web browser) for the Top Questions. They answer all sorts of things (even Alcatraz)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,052 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California School Holidays

It has little to do with any local school holidays, which are set by cities, not the state. We see tourist from the world around, and they don't share our school schedules either.

Bottom line, the busiest seasons for family travel:

Christmas/New Year (ends about January 10).

Spring Break (three week before and after Easter/Passover,typically, but colleges do it much differently). Summer (June-August).

Thanksgiving (3rd weekend November).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
735 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California School Holidays

Were are you from? Are you talking about 200 dollars us money? Or 200 dollars in a different currency..

Well the budget friendly hotel ib san diego for those prices in a decent but good area is in oldtowm...unless you comw during comic com which is july 19 to 22nd its hard to find a hotel at all. And hard to find a hotel less than 400

Reply to: California School Holidays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted