We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lassen Volcanic National Park

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
322 posts
28 reviews
Lassen Volcanic National Park

We will be traveling to Lassen Volcanic NP tomorrow from Weaverville CA on 299. We know nothing about the place so I think it is important that we go to the visitor’s center before beginning the day. Should we take 299 to 5 to 36 to enter to the south?

Is there anything I need to know about visiting there? I do know that Bumpass Hell Trail is closed for the season. We are an upper-60s couple in decent shape that look for easy to moderate hikes of 4 - 5 miles with no part of the trail forcing me within 2 feet of a sheer drop off without handrails.

4 replies to this topic
Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
621 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Lassen Volcanic National Park

Where are you going after Lassen? And where are you staying the night? That will determine if you should head the route you describe or if you should enter from Highway 44 and drive through to Highway 36. If you enter from highway 44 the Loomis Museum has park information.

Here's the latest edition of the park summer newsletter including hike information. Why don't you look and see which hikes appeal to you.

https:/…Peak-Experiences-Summer-2018-web.pdf

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
322 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Lassen Volcanic National Park

We are headed to Fall River Mills CA on our way to Lava National Monument and then on to Klamath Falls OR on our way to. CraterLake.

Thanks so much for the website.

Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
621 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Lassen Volcanic National Park

It will make sense for you to enter Lassen as described in your post from Highway 36. You can stop at the main visitor center there and then enjoy the park. The park road is only about 30 miles, but twisty. After stopping where you decide to explore and taking the road to the north end of the park at Manzanita Lake, you'll exit onto Highway 44 and your drive to Fall River Mills won't be long. On your way to FRM, you'll pass a marked site called Subway Cave just past Old Station. You might want to walk through this Lava Tube, but you'll need a flashlight once inside.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: Lassen Volcanic National Park

>>easy to moderate hikes of 4 - 5 miles<<

A nice snow-free, early season hike is Mill Creek Falls, right behind the visitor center. There is a waterfall at the end and you pass through some large fields of muletears, although they might not be in bloom yet. If you do Subway Cave you might want to bring a sweatshirt too, its usually pretty cold in there.

Reply to: Lassen Volcanic National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted