We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

I'm fine-tuning our July/August trip and am hoping y'all can help me with the most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay. We're actually staying in Laurel Canyon, but I know I want to drive up the PCH when we head north to Morro Bay. My question is Google Maps wants to route me on the 154 at Santa Barbara over to the 101 through Santa Maria. Would there be an advantage to staying on the 1/101 to Gaviota? Is it better to take the 101 up from there or would there be anything to see along the 1 to Lompoc and Vandenberg AFB? Can you even drive through Vandenberg or is it locked down? (I'm from NC and we have a lot of big military bases, so somewhat familiar with them, but there are different procedures.)

Thanks for any tips!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Lompoc
Lompoc
California
9 replies to this topic
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

Just stay on 101 the whole way to San Luis Obispo, then take 1 to Morro Bay. 154 is a narrow two lane road and it’s easy to get stuck behind slow moving trucks.

Similarly, the scenery through Lompoc and Vandenberg is unimpressive, and Hwy 1 is nowhere near the ocean. It’s also a much slower drive with all the stoplights in Lompoc and Santa Maria.

Mentioned in this post
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Lompoc
Lompoc
California
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

Google Map always route you through CA-154. It has been my pet peeve. They won't change their program logic, whatever funky algorithm it uses. Stay with the major artery coastal freeway US-101.

Nothing much to see at Lompoc or Vandenberg AFB (you only see rolling hills, you won't even pass by any facilities). The most scenic places are at Pismo Beach and Morro Bay. Spend more time there.

Mentioned in this post
Lompoc
Lompoc
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

So stay on 101 to Gaviota and follow it when it turns there? Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,366 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

I do hope you're driving Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica through Malibu and onto Oxnard/Camarillo (where it merges you onto the 101)

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Coast Highway
Pacific Coast Highway
1,458 Reviews
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Malibu
Malibu
California
Oxnard
Oxnard
California
Camarillo
Camarillo
California
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

RE: So stay on 101 to Gaviota and follow it when it turns there?

Yes. It is a right-elbow 90-degree turn. Unusual for a major highway. But you drive through the curve at 60 mph won't even need to slow down.

6. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: June 07, 2018, 12:05 am
Edited: June 07, 2018, 12:05 am

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

ElleBe_LA, yes that's definitely my plan. I used to live in Venice and would take drives up to Oxnard for fun so it's a bit of old stomping grounds for me even if it's not the most direct route from Laurel Canyon where our AirBnB is.

Yes, that looks like a right angle turn in Gaviota. 60mph? All right, we'll see how the rental handles it!

Mentioned in this post
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,051 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Oxnard
Oxnard
California
Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
534 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

Oxnard has become quite the office park mecca in the past few years - you'll be surprised at how it has changed from just an agricultural business town. Some of the traffic patterns and intersections have changed as well so head's up.

Mentioned in this post
Oxnard
Oxnard
California
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay

Good to know. I didn't go into Oxnard much, but would usually turn around there or at Point Mugu.

Mentioned in this post
Oxnard
Oxnard
California
Reply to: Most scenic route from Santa Monica to Morro Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted