We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Campsite at San Clemente

Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best Campsite at San Clemente

We will be going to California with our travel trailer. All the hookup campsites are booked so I am looking at the Bluff campsites at San Onofre SB. First question is we will be going on July 27th, will this be too hot to sleep at night since there is no power for our A/C? I would love to have a site where you can see the beach from the campsite but also read that its right by the highway and can be very noisy so I was wondering if there are spots that are more sheltered from the noise that still have the beach view. Also can you tell me how far a walk to the beach it is from the campsites? Basically looking for the best sites to look at. They are starting to get booked so if you can give me a few options that would be great! Thanks for your help.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,342 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,604 Reviews
from US$68.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,770 Reviews
from US$126.00*
3 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Campsite at San Clemente

San Clemente is fully booked, and has only a handful of Ocean view sites.

San Onofre- I haven't actually camped here yet. But b12 looks good. At the end of the row, so close neighbors only on one side. Nice view. (Don't book a handicap site unless you have a handicap placard- CA State Parks is strict about that.)

Edited: June 06, 2018, 10:29 pm
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Campsite at San Clemente

RE: wondering if there are spots that are more sheltered from the noise that still have the beach view. Also can you tell me how far a walk to the beach it is from the campsites?

Not really. This campsite is pretty primitive. It is built on (or reclaimed from) the old coastal highway that was in use before I-5. For corrosion concerns, the old highway was set back from the edge of the water. They just poured more asphalt next to the highway road surface to make the campsites. You are right next to your neighbor, your car door to his car door (say hi) like in a big parking lot, with no vegetation in between. What saved this campsite from abandonment from campers is the excellent location overseeing the Pacific Ocean. Not many campgrounds can you find that in California. You can understand, the skyrocketed real-estate prices and all. Only Carlsbad, Huntington Beach, Point Mugu from what I remember.

Maybe some site is better than others. The overall environment will be the same. No soundwall to block the noise from the freeway. Wouldn't that be nice? And I-5 is heavily used. And Amtrak trains too. It is right next to the train tracks. Closer than the freeway. Be prepared for these early morning runs and late evening runs (70 mph) by Amtrak and Metrolink trains. You will be waken up as I had been, almost guaranteed unless you are a very sound sleeper.

The campsite is about 1000+ feet from the shoreline (beach). You need to walk to it. From the campsite you cannot see the beach (sand) itself because the bluff with some shrubs. But you can see the Pacific Ocean in the background. You can't cut straight across out there wherever you want to. You need to find one of the few paths to walk to the beach. No only because of the thorny shrubs, but also at certain places the sandy soils had given way to water erosion and became cliff. For your safety not a good idea to take shortcuts. Thus walking to a trail from your site may add another 1000 feet of walking, make it 2000 feet+ to the beach.

Take the campground for what it is if you want to stay there.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Campsite at San Clemente

You won't need a/c at night, just open a window. Even in summer, when the sun goes down, it can get chilly near the ocean,

By any chance are you/were you in the military? Camp Pendleton has some interesting camping areas.

http://www.mccscp.com/delmarbchresort

Reply to: Best Campsite at San Clemente
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted