We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trakai in February

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
Trakai in February

Thinking of visiting Trakai on the 4 th of Feb for 4 nights just wondered if most places will be open and what will the weather be like.

8 replies to this topic
Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Trakai in February

trakai for four days is about three and half day too much. some place will be open and wether is not prognosable now, you will know about week before as it can be different every year

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Trakai in February

Oh will have to re think can you recommend any other places in the area we fligh into the capital. We prefer quiet places. Thankyou for your time.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Trakai in February

I would suggest to travel to druskininkai. It's only an hour away and very nice to visit the spas in the winter. I have been a few times & love it.

http://info.druskininkai.lt/en/

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
4. Re: Trakai in February

vilnius will be quiet in february, all the cities too. since you will have only five days in lithuania i would recomment to visit capital, kaunas and trakai, gruto parkas for day trips. around vilnius there are many great hiking paths since it's regional parks around the city (http://www.neriesparkas.lt/?l=2 )

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Trakai in February

I have looked at this several times and had decided originally not to respond, but quite frankly I cannot think of any reason to got to Trakai in middle of winter. The castle is not anything all that special and the real attraction is the beautiful place in the summer to picnic, boat, etc.

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
6. Re: Trakai in February

I can. I've been in Trakai 'in the middle of winter' various times and for a day trip it's not worse than summer, even better as there are less tourists taking pictures of the casle so you can enjoy town better. It's beautiful in winter as it is in summer, I agree that castle is not anything special but there are various things you can enjoy in winter. Of course, four days is way too much. by the way, Druskininkai is not only nice for day trip and visiting gruto parkas, they have only indoors skiing are if you are interested in that (http://www.snowarena.lt/en/home ) . Just check weather forecast before arriving. Last february we had three weeks of minus 30 and were joking and laughing about some countries which were writing articles about 'artic freeze, everything stopped, kids not going to shool, cars not working, etc.' at minus 10, which is considered quite warm winter in Lithuania.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Trakai in February

Thankyou for your reply still like the sound of it maybe just 2 nights ?

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
8. Re: Trakai in February

trakai is more for a day trip, there's not much to do there. i believe one night would be more that enough. unless you have friends there, going to specific event, plan to stay in some resort or like active rest. i know that dog sledges is popular in winter, there's some parks nice for hiking (http://www.turizmas.info/visit/lithuania/trakai/varnikai-cognitive-trail/115/566hyw6 is one of those) and some stuff to do if you have a car, but town itself would be quite sleepy in winter and without car (public transport to trakai surroundings being quite rare) you might become bored quite soon. but if you plan it properly 2 nights might be okay.

Reply to: Trakai in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trakai