We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

After reading carefuly all the advices and mostly disgruntled comments about the Taxi Drivers at the airport, I would like to ask the community for guidance.

My flight will land at 10 pm, and my friends will land later at 11h45, so I will probably hang around in the airport and wait for him, so that we can head together to the city. Trouble is, according to posts here , at that time of the evening we will be at the mercy of the unscrupulous taxi drivers parked outside the airport.

Is there a possibility to pre-book or arrange a reliable taxi driver that can come and collect us without us having to worry with being ripped off ?

Thanks

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

there;s lots of advices in topic about taxi. you won't be at mercy if you read them :) or use etaksi.lt

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

I have read them all, thanks. But it seems also that that company that keeps been suggested can cancel last minute, and not so sure about contact details to book in english. Plus, it's all really good and well when one arrives not too late in the evening, but late at evening it's seems to be a different ball game.

Honestly, if it's a lost cause, then I can prepare myself mentally, otherwise thanks for any valuable piece of info that goes beyond telling the cab driver (who may not feel like) to put the meter down to 1 from 6.

LT
Level Contributor
858 posts
3. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

I saw that gem too, i.e. to tell the driver "to put the meter down to 1 from 6" (there were even several such suggestions). Maybe it sound clever on the forum, or maybe someone indeed thinks that this is some really clever idea, though frankly it is accepted as an example of foreign arrogance, and the arrogance is able to produce only similarly arrogant response. It does not matter what that foreigner is actually thinking and what are his actual intents - there were lots before him who established firm attitude and firm opinion. Those who are not taxi drivers and do not need to deal with foreign visitors, those had and will have opportunities to watch at the visitors from abroad on TV reports from custody. It's not your fault, it's a fault of them. Or, say, since lithuanian government was mentioned in one of the posts, it's a fault of their government (eg UK) which didn't manage to provide an adequate education to its citizens :) .

Advice would be to agree the price before you get in. You can ignore it and prefer to listen to the nonsenses about the "meter" or that "lithuanian government must do something", but the advice (given by me and others several times on this forum) is to agree about the price before you get in. And i actually only am able to imagine a plane arrogance from the side of english visitors. Maybe it does not reflect the truth, but this is expected. And this is established by those visitors themselves. So, though advice is to agree the price before you get in, i'm skeptic about its feasibility because i have a bad preconception about those visitors :) .

There was really sane advice given by an american who lives in Vilnius:

"how can you get the lowest rates? From the airport, the tourist information desk will usually call a taxi for you for free. If you are coming in when they are closed, ask someone to call you a taxi. Or you can buy a Pildyk SIM card from the kiosk for about 10 litas (3 euro) and that gives you both a local mobile phone number and 5litas in free calls."

Because another advice is to call a taxi when you arrive.

Sorry, my bad preconception is not groundless, this is nothing personal :) .

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

Tadasmm, THANK YOU !!

My issue is that I will be arriving late at night.

"how can you get the lowest rates? From the airport, the tourist information desk will usually call a taxi for you for free. If you are coming in when they are closed, ask someone to call you a taxi."

Who ??? Do I just stop random people and tell them to call me a cab ? (I'm not being funny here, but in most places I know this wouldn't take me far, plus I don't speak Lithuanian)

Or you can buy a Pildyk SIM card from the kiosk for about 10 litas (3 euro) and that gives you both a local mobile phone number and 5litas in free calls."

Seems more realistic, who do I call then, and what number, do they speak english, do they operate until late in the evening ?

It's not arrogance, it's ignorance (mine) of how things work over there, so please don't take anything personal, they're genuine non judgemental questions B-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
5. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

to put meter down might look strange, but in fact all taxi firms has 'get-in' fee, thought it's mostly between 2 and 3 litas. all taxi firms operates all day long. you don't tell people to call cab for you, you ask (it's actually good suggestion to ask if there's any locals in the plain while still in it and ask to help you with calling taxi), if you'll be polite, people gladly will help you. all the taxi firms with numbers and prices are in etaksi.lt page. which you can also use.

LT
Level Contributor
858 posts
6. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

"...do they operate until late in the evening..."

Who "they"? It's taxi, it operates 24 hours and the night is the time when taxi is most useful because public transport do not work after the midnight (+/-). It is not "just useful", it is supposed that if you need a transport at night - you always have an option called taxi, this is why it exist. If you know in advance when you will need it - you can call it in advance, eg call in the evening and order a taxi for early morning at xx hour xx minutes. Or call it just when you need it, eg you leave the club at some 4:00 a.m., everything is "dead" around, and what is the way to get a transport? To call it by phone. They do not operate until late in the evening, they operate 24 hours.

I can only agree with the poster above (#5) - ask any local when you're still in the plane. Or when you just left the plane, or something. By "ask" i also mean to ask as what you should do in order to call the taxi in general (ie number, sim card, price, etc), ie you can have a mini conversation and during that conversation ask to call or something like that, it depends on situation. Maybe i should tell that reluctant small talk is a bad etiquette and matter-of-fact conversation is a good etiquette as it express your respect because you do not waste the time of others with your meaningless small talks? :D . That suggestion "ask someone to call you a taxi" is good and adequate.

As for the taxi companies, in opinion of some foreigners you should not deal with "Martono taksi" and should deal with "Ekipažas", i can't see their number in that website, but they have their own website http://www.ekipazastaksi.lt/lt/kontaktai.html , you can see the numbers there.

Bergen, Norway
1 post
7. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

When you are going out the main exit from Vilnius airport, and when you are standing 1 meter outside the main exit door, remember to turn your head around and look at the sign that informs about taxi prices.

When you arrive at the airport, it is more easy to see this sign with information (because it is hanging in front of the main entrance).

On 15.march 2013 the prices was:

Start up fee =10 Lt, and then 6 Lt pr. km

From the airport to the old city is about 7 km.

This means 10 + (6*7)=10+42=52 Lt

(Lt=the local currency)

Maybe take a photo of the prices and show it to the taxi driver (so they do not try to rip you off)

There is some kind of Monopoly at the airport. When going from the old city to the airport the prices are different. It is no problem to get a fixed price at 20 Lt. If booked by your hotel, about 30 Lt.

Edited: March 20, 2013, 7:49 am
Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
186 posts
147 reviews
8. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

it's not monopoly. it's either choosing to overpay for airport taxi / not doing any reseach about it beforehead or calling / asking somebody to call taxi for you. if you pay more than 15 -17 lt for the ride airport - old town - you overpay. if it was your choice to take airport taxi - complaining about overpaying would be a little childish. etaksi is always an option, also there's always some locals in the plane whom you can ask to help you. if you do it politely - nobody will say 'no'.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
352 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

To be honest, I do not understand why people do not take a hotel at the airport for the first night when they arrive at night. This is a great way to save your nerves and not worry about taxi. There is a completely new, cheap and good value hotel Air Inn 50 meters away from the terminal.

10. Re: Taxi Late Night - Do we have a choice ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: March 24, 2014, 12:15 pm
Get answers to your questions about Vilnius