We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trakai Opera

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
19 reviews
Trakai Opera

Hi

Has anybody been to the opera at Trakai, I saw they have a performance while I'm in Vilnius next month and wondered how easy it is to get there and back and what sort of venue it is.

Jackie

Vilnius (Pilaite)
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Trakai Opera

You should really go!! It's an opera festival held just once a year, inside the courtyard of Trakai castle. So the venue is great. As for the opera company -- it's the Lithuanian national company, which usually performs in vilnius. You can visit their webpage at www.opera.lt. They perform only 2 days at Trakai, so you might want to try to get tickets now! You can reserve online I think.

Visiting Trakai castle is a must while you're in Vilnius. It's about a 40 minute drive, you can go by bus or by train very easily, just ask at your hotel, they'll explain. The castle is located in a lake (yes, in, not on -- it's an island) and is stunningly beautiful.

Around the lake is a charming little town, and while you're there, you should try the local food called "kibinai." The best place to eat it is at Kybynlar (Karaimu g. 29), but there are other good restaurants in Trakai where you can try it. It's very unusual, Turkish style food. Why Turkish in Lithuania? Because when Lithuania streached all the way to the Black Sea, the Grand Duke Vytautus invite the Karaite people, who are ethnically a Turkish group, to come defend his kingdom, and the settled around the old capitals, like Trakai and Kernave.

Also, you can go boating on the lake, they have boats to rent, or stroll up to the Peninsula castle's ruins. So there's lots to do -- plan to spend a whole day!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Trakai Opera

Hi

Thank you for your reply. My problem is that the last performance of this opera is on the 6th July which is the day we arrive.

I read the opera starts at 9pm and public transport ends at 10pm. Which would leave us rather stuck.

Is there a coach company who do take you there as well as bring you back to Vilnius specifically for the opera.

Any more info would be greatfully received

Thanks

Jackie

Vilnius (Pilaite)
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Trakai Opera

I'm really not sure, I imagine there must be such a bus service, you could maybe try emailing the opera company (English is ok).

Or, you could stay overnight in Trakai, there are several hotels there, and I the price isn't bad...

Get answers to your questions about Vilnius