We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Of Lithuania

Penticton BC
Level Contributor
47 posts
Tour Of Lithuania

We are considering a tour of Lithuania this summer. What tour companies do people use and what has been your experience with them?

Thanks.

CT
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

We have booked a tour for May 2010 with Visit Lithuania. I spoke to someone who had toured with them a couple of years ago and they were very satisfied. It's a private tour with a driver/interpreter in an SUV - that was a big selling point for us as four of us are going and want to visit the villages our grandparents came from. They were able to customize the tour for us. We'll be in Lithuania from May 8 to May 16 and I'll be happy to let you know how we liked the tour when we get home.

Penticton BC
Level Contributor
47 posts
2. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

What tour company did you use? Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

The company is called "visitlithuania" - the email address is

www.visitlithuania.net.

Penticton BC
Level Contributor
47 posts
4. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

Thank you. Have a wonderful trip! Look forward to hearing about it upon your return.

Greenville, South...
1 post
5. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

My sister and I took the "Lithuanian Experience" tour with Visit Lithuania in May 2009. We had a wonderful experience: great itinerary, well-located and comfortable hotels, and top-notch guide. We stayed in Vilnius following the tour, and Visit Lithuania was very accomodating in modifying our arrangements (cancelled a rental car and changed our hotel) without any extra charge. I highly recommend the Visit Lilthuania travel company.

CT
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

Just wanted to give you an update...the tour was wonderful, accomodations were good, our guide was great. She worked very hard to make sure that everyone got to do/see what was important. I would have no hesitation in recommending this company - we were all very satisfied. Highlight of the trip for me was meeting cousins that I didn't know I had until a year or so ago when I was able to confirm family members through a genealogical search. They were welcoming and hospitable and made the trip very special.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
7. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

Hi sandy

thanks for posting about your trip,it's good that things went well & also good to know that the company you travelled with were so well organised.It will now be possible to point anyone requesting info on them to your post

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
274 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

Thank you for this suggestion! We are hoping to find a company that simply books car and lodging - and doesn't go with you. Does the company you used do that by chance? Also - do you feel that an American who doesn't speak Lithuanian really needs a guide? We've traveled extensively in South Africa, Europe, etc. - and never used a guide... Thank you!

CT
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

I would think they could accomodate car remtal and lodging only, as I saw a listing on their website for auto rentals. I don't think speaking only English would be much of a problem in the city, most of the people at hotels and restaurants seem to have staff that speak English quite well, but you definitely need Lithuanian once you are out of the big cities. My Lithuanian is pretty poor - spoke it as a child when my grandparents were alive but have forgotten most of it - but the little I knew came in handy several times, even with a guide. One evening in Kaunas we went to the mall and ate at Cili Kaimas, which offered a menu in English. My nieces employed the point at the picture method, but I was able to order my meal in Lithuanian and our waitress responded very nicely to that even if she could only understand half of what I was saying!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
274 posts
67 reviews
10. Re: Tour Of Lithuania

Yes - I'm sure it would be great to konw Lithuanian - but I tried once - and it's not easy if you're starting from scratch! We didn't know Portugese in Portugal either - and somehow we managed.... Did you spend your entire trip with a guide? How long did you stay?

Get answers to your questions about Lithuania