We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?

Armenia, Colombia
3 posts
Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Hello, folks. Me, my wife, and our two young children are moving to the city later this year (my wife is starting a new job). We both wondered which neighbourhoods are good to live in, are there any to avoid, and just in general, what is it actually like to live there, especially as foreigners? (I'm British, she's Colombian)...any help, tips, etc, are greatly appreciated!

6 replies to this topic
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
159 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

In general that would probably depend on who you ask..

I live in a part called Bežigrad and I like it here a lot. It is a bit from a strict city centre, but still very easy to acces with city bus. We have some parks, stadium, Tivoli is relatively close (you can even walk to the park) so for me its very suitable and I would recommend this part =)

My friend had an appartment in Brdo. It offered him to be out from center, close to forest and walkways in nature.

So it also depends on what do you like when living in the city.

I wouldnt avoid any part of Ljubljana, but there are some parts which I dont like due to landscape/architecture.

I dont know what are your options with appartement (will the company for which you work get you one) so basicaly your place of living will also depend on the market.

Living in Ljubljana is very nice. City is safe, clean, people in general very friendly. Everyone is also capable to comunicate in English, so you wont have any problems with language =)

Armenia, Colombia
3 posts
2. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Thank you for your reply, borutk23! That's all really helpful.

If I could ask (or for anyone else who reads this) - what's the cost of living like? If, say, you had around €40,000 a year salary, is this enough to have a decent life in Ljubljana? I understand different parts of the city will have different rents, but more in terms of affording groceries, being able to maybe eat out once or twice a week, that sort of thing.

Edited: March 12, 2021, 11:25 pm
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
159 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Dont know how much you spend, but that would be then 3300€ per month.

For a rent of 1000€ you can get a very very nice apartement, which leaves you then 2300€ for expenses.

In my opinion that would be enough.

On the other hand I dont know how much you spend for children. School/kindergarten - those kind of things.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,687 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Average monthly neto salary is around 1300 Eur; your salary should get you through the year comfortably. Kodeljevo is a nice oasis, yet anywhere within the highway ring is a good option. Ljubljana is a small city, with good public transport system. As said, Ljubljana is quite safe, I don't think there is any shady neighbourhood to be avoided. You can rent short term (per month) to check the actual situation in person.

Armenia, Colombia
3 posts
5. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Thank you xelas and borutk23, again that's all really useful info.

I'm a stay-at-home dad so we'll be saving on kindergarten fees for a little while, at least :D I'll take a look at the areas you've both mentioned - I'm really happy to see Ljubljana has so much green space, as I love going for nature walks, and want to take my kids to those kind of places.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,687 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
6. Re: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Save

Look also on the south side of the city, Vič, Rudnik, etc.

Reply to: Moving to Ljubljana...what do I need to know?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ljubljana
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.