We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
103 helpful votes
crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

I'm looking for information regarding flying into Ljubljana for a vacation and then crossing into Italy via road and departing from Venice. I'm coming with just my two small children at the beginning of June.

I have my vaccine certificate for Sinopharm and US/Canada passport. I will also arrive with a negative PCR test.

I understand that I'll need another PCR to travel into Italy. I would prefer to cross at Nova Gorica but is crossing at Fernetti better?

What border controls should I be aware of ? Should I expect to have a long wait at the border crossing?

I'm having a hard time finding info if my kids also need PCR tests to do the land border into Italy... Does anyone know?

Thanks so much!

16 replies to this topic
Radovljica, Slovenia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

The initial thing that springs to mind is that I'm not sure if that vaccine has been approved by the EU. If not, that could potentially be a stumbling point before you even get here, so do check.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
103 helpful votes
2. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

Thanks. It’s approved by the govt of Slovenia as per govt website.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
159 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

We will see what is the situation going to be like at the end of the month.

Currently you need a negative PCR test for entering Italy + self decalration form. After entering you have to go to quarantine for 5 days and after those 5 days you can take another PCR test. If its negative, your quarantine is lifted.

Those restrictions are valide until may 15th. After that they could change.

http://www.rome.embassy.si/index.php?id=5940

I had found the web page only in Slovenian language =(

But you could write an email to italian embassy and there they will provide you with the best answers.

sloembassy.rome(at)gov.si

But as i said, its 3 weeks from June and things can change few times until then :D

Edited: May 06, 2021, 9:56 pm
Slovenia
7 posts
4. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

CanuckonaBoat, what government site are you referring to regarding the Sinopharm vaccine, because it's not listed on any of the government sites I checked? The ones that are always mentioned are Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

Regarding the border pass: Nova Gorica is fine, usually there isn't much traffic. I was there about a month ago and police officer just glanced through my papers and let me through.

Edited: May 06, 2021, 11:46 pm
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
159 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

https://www.gov.si/teme/koronavirus-sars-cov-2/prehajanje-meja/

Look at the list of aproved vaccine - sinopharm is last on the list...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
103 helpful votes
6. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

@borutk23 - thank you! I had not thought of looking at the Italian Embassy in Slovenia webpage. I definitely understand that things can change. For now - I plan with the info I have and then I will adjust.

@GregorPec- thank you for sharing your experience with Nova Gorica - it's helpful to know.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
159 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

I would recommend that you go trough webpages 10 days prior to your arrival..

Government of Slovenia is changing rules so often that even we (Slovenians) sometimes dont know what is going on 😁

8. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

Does anybody know if Slovenia is open to 3. countries for tourism? For example: Flying from USA to Ljubljana with a negative test, purpose tourism. I couldn't see this information. As I understand it is not written that it is forbidden, but I couldn't see that it is allowed. Any advice?

Slovenia
7 posts
9. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

It looks like it's only possible if your country is not on the "red list" (USA is) or if you have to take care of "urgent matters", where tourism and visiting friends are explicitly mentioned as "not urgent":

https://www.policija.si/nase-naloge/nadzor-drzavne-meje/prehajanje-drzavne-meje-med-epidemijo-zaradi-koronavirusa

There's a long runaway sentence/paragraph towards the end of the page, if you'll try to google translate: "/.../ vstopi v Republiko Slovenijo samo v primeru, da gre za nujne razloge (kamor pa ne spadajo obiski zaradi turizma, družinski obiski idr.). "

Edited: May 09, 2021, 7:29 pm
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
103 helpful votes
10. Re: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Save

@storyteller - look at this website - https://www.gov.si/en/topics/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/border-crossing/

US is on the red list BUT it says that if you can show x, y, z - then you are exempt from quarantine. But now that i read it again - It's not clear that USA citizens can enter for tourism..

Entry from countries on the red list

Countries with an unstable epidemiological situation or administrative divisions of countries are included on the red list.

People entering the Republic of Slovenia from these countries shall, due to potential infection with SARS-CoV-2 virus, be required to remain in quarantine for a period of ten (10) days.

Individuals will not be ordered to quarantine if they present the following when crossing the border:

a negative PCR test for COVID-19 that is not older than 48 hours according to the date of the swab taken if it was carried out in an EU Member State, a Schengen Area Member State, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Israel or Russia, at category A checkpoints for international air transport, negative PCR test results issued in Serbia and Turkey are also recognised;

a positive PCR test result that is older than 10 days, unless a doctor assesses otherwise, but which is not older than six months, or a medical certificate of recovery from COVID-19 if not more than six months have elapsed since the beginning of symptoms, or

a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19, which proves that:

- at least seven days have passed since the second dose of the Comirnaty vaccine by BioNTech/Pfizer,

- at least 14 days have passed since the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by Moderna,

- at least 21 days have passed since the first dose of the Vaxzevria (COVID-19 vaccine) by AstraZeneca,

- at least 14 days have passed since the dose of the COVID-19 vaccine Janssen by Johnson & Johnson/Janssen-Cilag,

- at least 21 days have passed since the first dose of the Covishield vaccine by the Serum Institute of India/AstraZeneca,

- at least 14 days have passed since the second dose of the Sputnik V vaccine by Russia's Gamaleya National Centre of Epidemiology and Microbiology,

- at least 14 days have passed since the second dose of the CoronaVac vaccine by Sinovac Biotech, or

- at least 14 days have passed since the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by Sinopharm.

Evidence referred to in point 2 are taken into account if they have been issued in an EU Member State or a Schengen Area country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Israel or Russia.

Reply to: crossing into Italy from Slovenia ; flying into Ljubljana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Slovenia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.