We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 nights in Bled too much?

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
90 reviews
67 helpful votes
10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

We a visiting Slovenia in August 2022 for 13 nights.

We have to stay in Bled at the Parish House for 3 nights because we have a voucher from a previous booking. But from what I am reading on the forum Bled is not the place to stay. But just about everything we want to do is a day trip from Bled. Is it difficult to get out of Bled due to traffic?

We don’t like cities much and are looking to do easy walks and see natural sites. I have a list of things we want to see and each day pretty much allocated. Not interested in the caves or the coast because we are going to Croatia after Slovenia.

Currently we have 3 nights Ljubljana and 10 nights in Bled. It seems pointless to move to Kranj or Radovljica for 6 nights since they are so close to Bled but should we do that?

23 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
761 posts
1. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

I have visited Slovenia twice but not in August so not sure how busy it would be. However, Bled seems to the the number one Slovenian destination for foreign tourists and it will probably be school holiday time. It's certainly well located for day trips by car and bus.

On both my trips, I stayed in Ribcev Laz on lake Bohinj, where it is quieter and less developed. If I'd had a car, I may have considered staying somewhere in the Soca Valley. I also spent about 4 nights in Radovljica which is very attractive and low key - but not worth moving hotels from Bled for as it's so close, as you say. Skofja Loka is lovely - not a heap to do after a day to two unless you're into walking but a good base, especially if you have a car. I can recommend the place I stayed there if you decide that would suit.

You may wish to stay longer in Ljubljana as it is a wonderful small city and also a transport hub (by train and bus) to lots of other places. You are better off without a car in Ljubljana. The Ljubljana Card is also worth considering - if nothing else, it gives you ideas on what you may wish to see. Unfortunately, I missed Open Kitchen on Friday nights but it sounds fab.

Would so love to return. Lucky you!

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
90 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

We will be renting a car most of the time we are in Slovenia.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
90 reviews
67 helpful votes
3. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

I'll research those areas.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
149 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

Hey there.

As you already wrote yourself - it seems pointles to move. Bled is 1,5h drive from Piran, which is a coastal town. So if you already have a voucher to stay there I dont think its necesary to move your place of staying.

While you are in Bled you can easily do day trips to different parts of Slovenia. Specially if you will be renting a car.

Of course it depends on how do you want to spend you evenings. If you are looking for walking trough the city streets, then Bled is not a good decision. Its more as nature resort than anything else. Lovely lake to walk around, you can go on surrounding hils etc...

While you are there, dont miss on going to Lake Bohinj, Vintgar Gorge, Zelenci natural resort, Jasna Lake.

You can go hike (or take cable car) up to Vogel mountain and so on..

there are many things to do here, especially if you are into the nature.

Also you said that you already have a plan =)

Hope that my answer helps a bit..

Radovljica, Slovenia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

How about going to the Soca valley area? In August Bled is heaving. The traffic jams are horrendous getting in/out of the place so, although its a good place to base yourself, you might well get fed up of sitting in traffic to get anywhere.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
90 reviews
67 helpful votes
6. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

I thought Soca Valley was only for thrill seekers but I’ve done a little research and it looks good for easier hikes too. I don’t want to be driving crazy windy roads each day and am looking at Maximum 500m height elevation gain over the day hikes. So where would be the best place to base ourselves?

Kranjska Gora seems to be too high up and looks like it would involve windy roads getting to anywhere. Is that right? Would Bovec be suitable for us?

I’ve just ordered a hiking guidebook so I can be better informed. It arrives in 10 days!

Edited: April 24, 2021, 6:17 am
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
761 posts
7. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

I find this site useful https://www.soca-valley.com/en

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
90 reviews
67 helpful votes
8. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

Escape, thanks that is a helpful site.

Just one or two rafting companies in Bovec!! :)

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
149 posts
77 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

If it arrives in 10 days that means that you will have more than one year to decide about your plan =)

But there are places also in Soča Valley or in Kranjska Gora where you can do easier hikes.

If you would ask for my personal opinion (i am a Slovenian tour guide and also a member of the Slovenian alpine association - currently doing my license for mountain guide) I would say that Soča Valley is just the most beautiful part of Slovenian country.

It's not by accident that the Chronicles of Narnia was filmed here ;)

https://slocally.com/the-chronicles-of-narnia-prince-caspian-filmed-in-soca-valley/

Slovenia
7 posts
10. Re: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Save

Yes, 13 days around bled is probably not what you want, but if you prefer nature and short hikes over cities Soča River Valley is no doubt the most fitting option https://www.soca-river.com/en/sights-list.html

Since you'll be staying in Slovenia quite a while, perhaps also consider Logarska Dolina https://www.logarska-dolina.si/index.php?jez=EN

Reply to: 10 nights in Bled too much?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.