We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International travel restricted until July!!??

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

I just read an article stating international travel is restricted until July in Slovenia. My flight leaves from the US May 16, surely government officials understand a lot can change until then, especially as more travelers get vaccinated. There is always some risk of getting sick when traveling, just as there is risk of getting into an accident, being robbed, whatever, but we don't let that risk prevent us from living normal lives. I have read so many contradicting articles on this virus to know there is a lot we do not know. I do know the media likes to focus on pessimism, but there is certainly a lot of good news on the vaccination front. We are just now starting to make real progress in getting people vaccinated. From what I have read even if some vaccines such as the Johnson and Johnson vaccine are not as effective in stopping people from getting Covid 19, it is effective in keeping people out of hospitals and morgues. I would think by April we could see huge declines in the number of people going to hospitals and dying because of the virus. I have always thought the main reason for the restrictions was to keep hospitals from being overrun due to Covid.

Does anyone know if this policy is set in stone or subject to change? Common sense tells me it should be subject to change, but common sense often not used by government officials.

25 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,687 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

We do not know what rules will be next week (well, we do know as of today, yet they can change quickly), less so for next month ... or next summer. Anyway, it is best to follow official web sites of all countries you will cross on your way to Slovenia. Ours is this: https://www.policija.si/eng/newsroom/news-archive/103470-crossing-the-state-border-during-the-coronavirus-epidemic .

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

I think this is the article I read -

www.traveloffpath.com/slovenia-reopening-for-tourism-heres-who-can-visit/

Even though article dated Feb 2021 I wonder if it is referring to restrictions for last summer. The very first sentence states EU members can enter country in June and International travelers in July.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
3. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

I’m afraid the only thing that we can be certain is that we cannot know whether you’ll be allowed in until the night before your flight arrives. Rules are literally changing overnight, especially border rules, as governments have little regard for international travellers at the moment.

However, there is no rule on restricting international travel until July as far as I know.

Edited: February 13, 2021, 5:27 pm
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,687 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

"Shopping, tourism, skiing, sports and similar activities are not legitimate grounds to allow entry into Slovenia." ... as reported here: https://www.policija.si/eng/newsroom/news-archive/107184-no-entry-into-slovenia-for-shopping-tourism-skiing-or-other-similar-purposes-important-information .

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,938 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

Here you can follow the newest information:

https://www.gov.si/en/topics/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/border-crossing/

Until now, your country (USA) is in the RED category, means you are not allowed to enter or if you have a "special reason" you have to quarantine for 10 days.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

I just read that entire page. It seems to say that with an approved PCR test not older than 48 hours, or rapid antigen test not older than 24 hours one can avoid quarantine.

What's not clear to me is that all the information references country of travel origin but nothing about country of citizenship. Maybe that is covered on a different page, but from what I see on this page a US citizen could enter Slovenia from Croatia with a negative PCR test as of Feb 13th (last update on the page).

Please dissuade me from this reading before I fly my vaccinated butt over there and get turned away at the border!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,938 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

"""a US citizen could enter Slovenia from Croatia"""

Maybe!!! I don't know the rules of Slovenia and Croatia. BUT: First this US-Citizen have to be able to enter Croatia. And that is not possible at the moment.

Sonoma County...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

Hmm, didn't notice that change. From the English language Croatian border site it's not clear to me whether it is PCR test within 48 hours AND compelling reason to be there or if that AND is an OR. Thanks for the heads up though

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
9. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

I posted a comment for the article I provided a link for asking for clarification of the dates. I am thinking the article referred to June and July 2020 (not 2021) and was updated but did not change the opening sentence. I am feeling more and more confident this is the explanation since no one can find anything on official websites showing restrictions to July 2021. Too much can change in the next few months. I am going to continue to be hopeful I can visit Croatia and Slovenia mid May. I should be vaccinated by then and I am optimistic enough at risk people will also be vaccinated so traveling will be safer. All the science seems to indicate the virus is not deadly for most younger healthy individuals. From the very beginning of the restrictions we have been told it was to keep hospitals from being overrun. Even now in the US that is not the case and it should keep getting better.

I

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,938 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
10. Re: International travel restricted until July!!??
Save

# 9: you are much too optimistic. For sure, the virus is not as dangerous for the younger people. But this younger people easily can infect the older ones, and for them it could be deadly. Don't you think we have to be careful for our elderly?

If the border opens doesn't depend on if YOU were vaccinated, it depends of the people of EUROPE all are vaccinated. And this could take until about September or October. As you are american people you must wait until the borders are open.

Reply to: International travel restricted until July!!??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Slovenia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.