We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks

canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
135 reviews
80 helpful votes
Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

Thinking of going to slovenia or ? for say 10 days in October. Please suggest places to stay as well as worth seeing places. I am not looking for a luxury trip though very comfortable. Interest are food wines etc, site see but no museums, like markets, good places to stay though not very pricy yet moderate. I hope to fly from Montreal or Ottawa and wonder where to land. Any suggestions or hints will be appreciated. Or can i safely add a country in this itinerary that is flexible too. Where to stay, where one wd recommend i stay . I have no clue as to where to begin.. though a frequent traveller yet not in europe.. much obliged for any worth while info. May be a solo travel.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
28 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

Ljubljana

Lake Bled

Lake Bohinj

Julian Alps

Triglav National Park

Piran

Logarska Dolina

Maribor

Celje

Ptuj

With two weeks, some might split time in Slovenia with time in Northern Croatia, e.g. Zagreb, Plitvice Lakes National Park, and Istria.

Read trip reports. Get a good guidebook for Slovenia (I like the Rick Steves Croatia/Slovenia book; the Bradt Slovenia book has more detail about more places in the country, but the book is a bit dated now, about nine years since the last update). That's always how I start to think about what I might like to see in a new country I've never visited.

Ask questions about specific places you're interested in after doing a little research, and I'm sure people can offer you some specific answers.

Fly to Ljubljana directly if you can, but if you can't get good flight connections or prices, consider flying to Venice or Zagreb instead.

canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
135 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

much obliged

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
16,507 posts
3,311 reviews
4,461 helpful votes
3. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

AndrewHHH: Classic list.

Consider

Countryside | I feel Slovenia

https://www.slovenia.info/en/things-to-do/discover-nature/countryside

for overnight and/or dining.

Dovje, Slovenia
Level Contributor
395 posts
171 reviews
133 helpful votes
4. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

If you want to have a food tasting experience (not cheap, but slovene most famous cook, often booked months infront), consider also Hiša Franko http://www.hisafranko.com/en/ on your itinerary. Have a dinner, spend a night there... destination is completely out of a way (you need to rent a car), but in a beautiful Soča valley and can be combined with some spectacular sightseeing. Also, note that forests around Triglav National Park will have beautiful colours in that time!

Edited: 3 years ago
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
5. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks
Save

If you have an interest in food and wine, in addition to all the lovely places that have already been mentioned, you simply must visit some wine regions. The Goriska Brda and Vipava Valley in the west, between the Soca Valley and Piran, are probably the most "well-known" outside of Slovenia, or at least their wines are, but there are some very lovely regions in the east, too - Jeruzalem, Slovenske Gorice, etc.

6. Re: Never been to Slovenia etc Ideas for two weeks

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 21, 2018, 12:18 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.