We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Their prices are surprisingly cheap!

www.suncoastcarrentals.com

I did a booking for 7 days and 2 hours, I'm 22, for the cheapest option it works out to just $217.80 inclusive of everything? I'm getting travellers insurance that also covers the excess up to $5000 on my rental car, so I'm thinking this seems to be like a good deal?

Has anyone rented with them before?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Hi, we are looking at booking with them too; good prices etc. Will be interested to see what feedback you get. :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
205 reviews
187 helpful votes
2. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

It is a foolish decision to select a rental car company using price as the final determinator. What is more important is the after hours service they are able to provide should you have a mechanical problem or accident. Many 2md/3rd tier operators offer little to no after hours services and we get complaints here on TA about the lack of service. There are reasons why 2nd/3rd tier operators are cheaper than the international majors.

The insurance excess if covered by your travel insurance is cool but does your travel insurance also cover extras like hail damage. tyre damage, windscreen damage - these are generally extras over and above the standard excesses and have you considered additional excesses if only one vehicle is involved in an accident ie you total the car by running off the road or hitting a stationary object. Many cheaper insurance companies in addition to the standard excess of around $A3500 charge an additional $A3500 excess for single vehicle accidents making $A7000 in total. Travel insurance doesnt look to flash now does it. If using credit card insurance it is a condition of most policies that you have to take out all the additional insutances offered by the hire company or the policy is void.

I have no idea of the T & C's of Sun Coast Rentals so I have no idea if any of the concerns I raised are applicable to them you can check them out.

Just a few cents worth of wisdom for you guys

Mornington...
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
31 reviews
76 helpful votes
3. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

couldnt have put it better Bean

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Alright, so you have made me reconsider. I'm now looking at a larger sort of "chain" rental company instead. Budget Rental comes to mind (Budget.com.au) as they are very large, global if I'm correct, and their prices also seem to be pretty low at a total of $329.70 inclusive of all fees and taxes.

Do I want the excess reduction? Budget don't seem to offer anything else - mind you, I can also pay for extra excess cover in my Travel Insurance to cover any issues there (increases cover to NZ$7500 from $5000).

Another question - is there a place NEAR the airport where I can rent a car from instead of at the airport instead? Seems like they like to charge a premium for a "premium location" too!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Nevermind. Seems like my biggest problem is my age (22), it seems to SPIKE all prices. I'm back to the original car rental company I posted now.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
172 reviews
224 helpful votes
6. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Have a read of this - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Australia:Rental.Vehicles.html

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
205 reviews
187 helpful votes
7. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Up to now when I have holidayed on the GC I have always used Alpha Car Rentals which are an off airport company who provide a shuttle to and from the airport. Ovrer the past few weeks a NZ company Apex car rentals has just opened an off airport operation at Brisbane Airport also operating a shuttle service. I use and strongly recommend Apex in NZ and if their NZ culture is transferred to Australia and I have no reason to believe otherwise then the new Aussie operation will be very successful. Apex are using new Hyundai cars. Check out their respective websites for Terms and Conditions.

Makemedie is you are still having concerns come back and we will try and find a solution for you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
172 reviews
224 helpful votes
8. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Makemedie

I forgot to mention that there have been a number of threads on various Aussie forums about dodgy car rental companies. If you want to read any of them, just type "car rental" (or something similar) into the search box.

While I haven't been to the GC for a year or two, I always rent from East Coast and I have never had a problem with them in their Brisbane or their GC office. I book it all over the net including the extra insurance, specifiying the size of the car I need etc - http://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au/

Regardless of which company you choose, don't expect to book a shopping trolley sized car and then roll up and say it's too small and ask for a larger car. Quite simply, most car companies don't have yards full of cars waiting for people to change their minds because it looks too small or they can't fit their luggage into the car.

Like you said, I think your age will pump up your premium.

And like Bean noted, there are all sorts of hidden extras in insurances and I know that my Mastercard insurance simply does not cover all the types of incidents / accidents / problems that the "optional" extra insurance costs with the car rental company.

I would strongly suggest that you do not rely on your interpretation of your CC insurance policy - call the insurance company and ask them specific questions including "multiple car collision", "third party property", what they mean by a "single vehicle collision".

If you do rely upon your CC insurance, it would not surprise me if the car rental company does a pre-authorisation on your CC for at least a couple of $$K. If that does happen, depending on your limit, you may or may not be able to use your CC as hotels often pre-authorise CC too and sometimes they do not release their authorisation for several days ... again, other posters have written about dramas they they have experienced.

Finally, when it's all said and done, the cost of the rental car often pales in comparison to the cost of airline tickets, accommodation, food / drink, spending money, souvenirs etc. IMO, it's not worth hassling over a few extra $$ per day for some peace of mind.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
9. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Oh you guys are just fantastic help! DoughOz, I didn't know Credit Cards gave you travel insurance.. I'm 22 and try and stay away from Credit Cards so I have a Debit Plus Card instead (yknow.. A Debit Visa card?). But anyway, I was actually buying Air NZ Travel Insurance - that insurance covered the excess of the car I rent up to $5000.

The extras that aren't covered under the insurance.. I had a quick look and found a company that explicitly says it covers everything, and the company almost seems too good to be true, the way they've worded stuff on their website. Is anyone able to share their experiences with Gold Coast Family Car Rentals? - http://www.goldcoastcarrental.com.au/prices.php

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,334 posts
172 reviews
224 helpful votes
10. Re: Anyone heard of Sun Coast Car Rentals?
Save

Makemedie

I can get travel insurance from having a CC because I have a Gold Mastercard. Depending on the bank that provides you with your Gold or Platinum card, travel insurance providers will differ and so will their T&C.

I know with my CC travel insurance, it has some limitations which I could have found out the hard way had I not asked more questions about the clever use of wording, particularly with regard to car insurance, which is why I always opt for the rental car company's extra insurance - at least they will have to take up the fightwith their insurance company to get anything paid for should the worst case scenario occur - and all I would have to pay would be the excess (which I reduce to the minimum in any case).

The other thing is that while it is great that you have purchased TI, don't necessarily expect all rental companies to accept your TI as being "covered" - some may still want to do a pre-authorisation on a CC or hold a bond of some sort - understandable really as they have no idea about the words and what is covered under the myriad of insurances offered "out there".

With regard to GC Family Car Rentals, no I haven't used them and know nothing about them.

Get answers to your questions about Gold Coast
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.