We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus tour to Port Arthur

Sydney
3 posts
Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

I will be travelling with my 12year old daughter to Hobart next May and we have one day free for a bus tour to Port Arthur.

I have found a number of tour companies, and have read a few posts on here, but I have no idea which one to choose!

Can anyone recommend a good one? I am not concerned about the cost, but would like to see as much as I can through the day as it will be the only sightseeing we will get to do outside of Hobart itself.

Tasmania, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
37,610 posts
67 reviews
303 helpful votes
1. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

You're right: there are lots. And as the main focus is the historic site itself, they're pretty much the same in that regard.

I'd pick one on the basis of where else you go (Richmond, the Tasman Peninsula, wildlife park etc). My preference would be to pick one of the tours that includes the fast boat trip around the Tasman Peninsula. Take a look at Sealife Experience or Tasman Island Cruises.

http://www.sealife.com.au/

http://www.tasmancruises.com.au/tours/full-day-tour.aspx

Both do Port Arthur and the fast boat trip.

Luigi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

Hi Luigi,

I have been reading your comments with interest and am wondering out of these 5 tours (some of them are very similar) - which one would you recommend?

Tasman Island Cruises

Tour 1 - Full Day Tour + Extended Sightseeing

This tour includes return guided bus tour from Hobart,

3 hour cruise, morning tea and lunch. Then spend the afternoon exploring the region with your guide. Visit local sites including Remarkable Cave, Palmers Lookout, the township of Nubeena or the Federation Chocolate Factory, before returning to Hobart.

Adults $165

Children $110 (aged 3-16)

Tour 2 - Full Day Tour + Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park

This tour includes return guided bus tour from Hobart, 3 hour cruise, morning tea and lunch. In the afternoon, you can explore the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park, where you can view the Tasmanian Devil as well as other native wildlife such as wallabies, kangaroos and possums, before enjoying the free-flight bird show. You will then take a leisurely journey back to Hobart.

Adults $185

Children $125 (aged 3-16)

Tour 3 - Full Day Tour + Port Arthur Historic Site

This tour includes return guided bus tour from Hobart, 3 hour cruise, morning tea and lunch. You will spend 3 hours exploring the Port Arthur Historic Site at your leisure in the afternoon, before returning to Hobart.

Tasman Island Adventure Cruises

FULL DAY TOUR EX HOBART (Option 1)

Return Guided coach Tour from Hobart to Port Arthur

3 Hour Tasman Island Adventure Cruise

Remarkable cave – Tasman Arch – Blowhole

Lunch

Adults 17+ AUD $169

FULL DAY TOUR EX HOBART (Option 2)

Return Guided coach Tour from Hobart to Port Arthur

3 Hour Tasman Island Adventure Cruise

3 Hours exploring Port Arthur Historic site

Isle Of the Dead/Harbour Cruise

Thank you

Tasmania, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
37,610 posts
67 reviews
303 helpful votes
3. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

This is very difficult as I don't like being asked to pick one operator above another. So, rather than me saying "pick this one", I'll tell you what I would look for.

Firstly, as I've said in a previous post on this thread, I favour those tours that do BOTH a fast boat cruise around the Tasman Peninsula AND a good tour of Port Arthur. They are the key issues to look for.

Secondly, I am, therefore, less impressed by tours that favour the Taranna wildlife park above those two things.

I think that if you picked any tour that does the fast boat tour AND Port Arthur, you'd be looking good. :)

As an aside, Bonorong Wildlife Park north of Hobart is the one to visit to see Tassie devils

Luigi

Edited: 10 years ago
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

That's wonderful advice Luigi - it will make it easier to pick a tour. Thank you

new york
Level Contributor
25 posts
5. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

can you tell me how long it takes to get from Hobart to the Bonorong Wildlife Park...we will not have a car, plan to do some sort of tour!

Tasmania, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
37,610 posts
67 reviews
303 helpful votes
6. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

As you don't have a car, you'd need to go with a day tour company. Take a look at this page: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s407/Hobart:Australia:Day.Trips.html

Of the day tour companies listed there, the following go to to Bonorong:

Grayline

Experience Tasmania

Great Expeditions

Let's Show You Tasmania

Prestige Tours

Hope this helps,

Luigi

7. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: February 16, 2011, 6:05 pm
Tasmania, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
37,610 posts
67 reviews
303 helpful votes
8. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur
Save

You're welcome to your opinion, but I can cope without the personal abuse.

Luigi

9. Re: Bus tour to Port Arthur

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 26, 2012, 3:20 pm
Get answers to your questions about Hobart
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.