We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29

Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Hi, we'll fly from Melbourne to Hobart for 6 days 5 nights and we'll not drive during the stay in Hobart.

May I know what is the weather during end of October? We're also planning to stay in Customs House Hotel, can someone advise us how is the hotel, e.g location, ambiance etc?

So far we have marked down some places that we intend to visit in Hobart as the following:

Day 1 (Oct 24, Fri): Arrive Hobart at 3pm.

Day 2 (Oct 25, Sat): Salamanca market time! Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens.

Take metro to Old Hobart Town, Richmond at afternoon.

Day 3 (Oct 26, Sun): Bruny Island eco cruise tour from 8am till 5.30pm

Day 4 (Oct 27, Mon): Tahune Air Walk Forest & Heritage Centre, Huon Valley Apple & Heritage Museum

Day 5 (Oct 28, Tue): Mt. Field, Mt. Wellington and Wildlife tour

Day 6 (Oct 29, Wed): Leaving Hobart at 11.10am to Melbourne.

This is only the rough plan for us because we are not sure will it be too ideal to set the itinerary as above or are we left out any interesting place in Hobart. Hence we will be truly appreciated if you guys can share the Hobart experience with us.

Besides how do we travel to Tahune Air Walk Forest if we don't want to join its tour?

Many thanks in advance and good day!

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Went to Hobart quite a few years ago.

Salamanca Market was good but crowded we went on to the botanical gardens in the afternoon so it was a welcome break after the busy markets.

I would consider a hire car for 2 days ( unless you want to go on organised tours ) and do the Huon valley, Tahune forets and the day 5 of your itinary .

I cant comment on the accommodation but, if it is in the main area of the city it is easy to get around by walking. We stayed out of town and as we didn't know the area well we wasted time looking for parking spots so we didnt get a chance to sample many of the nice retaurants and bars around the wharf in the evening.

If I went back I would definately stay in the city .

I liked Hobart it is a nice City.Enjoy your trip

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
130 reviews
234 helpful votes
2. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Customs House is right on the waterfront and very central - not sure what it is like - it is in a pub and could be noisy but I think the rooms are fairly nice. Lost of great restaurants and night life around the location.

To get to Tahune Airwalk you are going to have to rent a car if there is no tour and it is a 1:45 drive - well worth it though. Hastings Cave is also down there with its caves and hot springs

As for the weather - expect it to still be cold - but in Tasmania you never know - sunny one minutes and snowing the enxt - come prepared for all seasons except summer!

Regatrds

Suzi

Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Thanks MC and Suzi,

It seems like getting a car in Hobart is necessary if we wanted to travel to Huon Valley. Our problem is we both are not so confident in driving. Anyway, we will consider you guys' suggestion if there is no other option.

The unpredictable weather, hmmm sounds interesting and scary. Well we'll just bring all the appropriate clothes for the challenging weather there.

Besides, what are the floral and fruits that we can expected in late October? I am a big fan of Flowers, so hope to see the blossom in Hobart especially in the Tasmanian Botanical Gardens and also at the mountains.

Suzi, thanks for the comment on Customs House Hotel. Think most likely we'll book this hotel since the location is wise.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
33,069 posts
2,532 reviews
31,742 helpful votes
4. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

its rather easy to drive around Hobart as its like a big country town.. I drove to Huon Valley one afternoon by myself and had no problems at all.

Another suggestion if you have time is to catch a ferry cruise up to Peppermint Bay and have lunch...its a lovely spot..you can also drive, its not far from Hobart approx 30 minutes.

www.peppermintbay.com.au

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
5. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Hi mt-ono, the Customs House is on the waterfront close to Salamanca, very nice position but by their own admission...

"We have live entertainment weds - sat and are in the heart of Hobart's restaurant and nightlife.

Rooms can be noisy on these nights and over the Sydney Hobart."

http://www.customshousehotel.com/subpage.cgi?pageID=30

In October the springtime weather will be warming and there will generally be more rain. As said, the weather can be very changeable, be prepared for anything and dress in layers.

The Botanical Gardens have a tulip festival early October so it's a good time for flowers.

The Sorell Fruit Farm shows strawberries available in November, you may be lucky and get some in late October.

http://sorellfruitfarm.com/harvest/

If you are not confident driving, I would suggest doing a Tahune tour. Did you want to avoid doing too many tours?

Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Thanks for convincing us to drive,Ellemay. If it's only 30 min drive to Huon Valley, I guess should be alright (hopefully).

Hi ardvark, yeah we are trying not to spend too much money on the tours, so we're planning to join the Bruny island tour and the Mt. Field, Mt. Wellington and Wildlife tour (mainly because we want to see the waterfall in Mt.Field)only. Or do you think that we should go to the Tahune tour instead of the bruny island and the mt. field tours?

In addition, shall we pre book the tour or just book it when we're on town?

We consider Customs House Hotel mainly because it's close to Salamanca place and it comes with private bathroom.

Any other suggestions on what we should do, where to dine and so on in Hobart.

Saw from other post that we can take Airport shuttle bus to Hobart city, but there are two different fares:

1. Airporter Shuttle Bus operate buses from Hobart city to the airport. Fares start approx from A$10 per adult and A$4.90 per child one way.

2. The shuttle bus costs $13 one way, $23 return. redlinecoaches.com.au/airporter/index.html

Are they the different bus companies? Which one is better?

Thanks again.

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
7. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29
Save

Hi mt-ono

There is only one shuttle bus, the up-to-date fares are on the redline coaches link. The Bruny cruise is probably the best of the bunch, don't miss it.

8. Re: Going to Hobart on October 24 till Oct 29

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 05, 2009, 7:18 am
Get answers to your questions about Hobart
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.