We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on 5th destination

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
7 helpful votes
Need help on 5th destination
Save

Hi all

We are heading over to Tasmania for our first campervan trip in January next year. We are going to be there for 14 days.

Itinerary so far is

Port Arthur 3 days

Freycinet 3 days

Mount Fiiekd 3 days

Hobart 3 days

I’m looking for advice on where to go between Freycinet and Mt Field National Park. Was thinking perhaps Devonport but worried about the drive time.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
397 reviews
234 helpful votes
1. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

What about Launceston and the Tamor valley as you only have 2 spare days

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
2. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

You could spend the extra days south of Hobart (after Mt Field or after Hobart) and leave the north of the state for a future visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Thanks for your replies. I have decided to scrap the 5th destination and stay an extra night at Freycinet and Hobart.

My next question is should we stay White Beach Holiday Park or NRMA holiday park Port Arthur?

Also I know google maps underestimates the travel time can someone give me an indication of how long a drive it will be between my destinations?

Iwe are travelling with a seven year old and any suggested stops between places would be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New Zealand, Tasmania
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
397 reviews
234 helpful votes
4. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

I would check out which Holiday park has the best activities that your 7 yr old would enjoy.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
5. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Normal driving times on a good day in a car between Hobart and Port Arthur are between a hour and a half and a hour and 45 mins,

Plus any wee stops, food or sightseeing, there may even be a enforced enjoyable stop at the Dunalley Canal bridge at that time of the year when a succesion of boats pass through etc etc.

Min drive time from Port Arthur to Coles Bay. ( Freycinet ) via Sorell would be in the 3 .5 hour ' range ' in a campervan plus necessary stops

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
6. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

For Freycinet to Mt Field, not all of the roads are straight and fast but none of them is super slow either.

Freycinet to Campbell Town assume 90 minutes.

Campbell Town to Melton Mowbray is 80km on the fast A1, so less than an hour.

From Melton Mowbray you can either continue on the A1 and travel via New Norfolk, or turn right onto the A5 and go via Bothwell and B110. Distance is the same and travel times will be similar, say 90 minutes. I recommend the Bothwell route, as it's more scenic, has less traffic (esp trucks) and because you'll be driving to Hobart via New Norfolk a few days later.

When the B110 terminates at the A10 you can turn left or right. Turning left is the shorter faster route. Turning right and then left onto C608 will add maybe 10-15 minutes' travel time but be more scenic and slightly reduce backtracking when you leave for Hobart. You will have to turn right to reach Hamilton.

Places to stop:

Ross - historic buildings & bridge, wool museum, female factory, bakeries

(Rest area with toilet at St Peters Pass)

Oatlands - even if not stopping there turn off the A1 and drive through it for the historic houses in the main street

Bothwell has a fenced village green with play equipment and a toilet across the street. There may or may not be a cafe in Bothwell in January (they come and go), otherwise the hotel does lunches.

Hamilton has a park off the highway with public toilets and lots of historic buildings, some of which are eateries.

Ellendale has a public park with toilets.

Westerway has the Possum Shed cafe. There is also a cafe at the Mt Field visitor centre but the Possum Shed has more character and a fancier menu.

Edited: April 13, 2021, 11:13 am
Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
7. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Mt Field to Hobart:

If I was travelling with a 7yo I'd stop at Salmon Ponds (just before you reach New Norfolk via B62.

Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary is on the northern fringes of Hobart (about a minute from Brighton).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Thanks for all your replies, I’ve added your suggestions to our itinerary.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
19 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Highly recommend Richmond ZooDoo. My kids loved it!

Also look at Stewart's Bay lodge near Port Arthur. Has playgrounds etc for kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
19 reviews
28 helpful votes
10. Re: Need help on 5th destination
Save

Also Oatlands has a great playground behind the windmill. Makes a good rest stop

Reply to: Need help on 5th destination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hobart
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.