We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Selection--Confused

grm
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
373 posts
Resort Selection--Confused
Save

We a US couple trying to make the final selection of a resort fon the GBR and/or the Whitsunday's or our March 2007 trip. I have read all the reviews on Bedarra Island Resort, (GBR) Hayman Island Resort (Whitsunday's) and Heron Island Resort (GBR). Honestly the reviews are evenly split. i.e. we loved it, we hated it, too many birds, overrated at 5 Stars etc. Could I solicit the opinion of anyone who has stayed at or has a real comparision of all three? OK two!!!We are 55 years old, like beaches but prefer to swim in pools, 5 Star room accomodations. We realize that this is Australia and that poolside lounging is not necessarily on tap! We would sincerly appreciate your taking the time to give us some direction. Thank you.

Perth
2 posts
1. Re: Resort Selection--Confused
Save

Hi US couple. I hope I'm not too late to help you out. I think I would recommend Hayman for you. Heron Island is more family orientated with lots of activities and lots of kids. Wouldn't say it was 5 star. Wilson Island (off Heron) is beautiful and secluded - but basic (they use luxury tents). I stayed at Bedarra Island but not at the resort. However, from your post I would suggest it's not the traditional '5 star' resort - it's a place where you can relax in privacy without staff running around all over the place. Bedarra Island has beautiful secluded beaches where you can boat out to (walking would be too far). Hayman is more the 5 star, sitting around the pool with waiter service, meeting up with the hundreds of other wealthy people for cocktails type of resort. This definitely caters for pool side lounging. Go to Hayman.

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
78 reviews
140 helpful votes
2. Re: Resort Selection--Confused
Save

I am probably too late - you have more than likely decided on what to do. I have stayed at both resorts and without a doubt Bedarra was SO much better. Hayman was average everything - I would give it about a 3 star. Food was average, expensive and the staff were just OK. There were also heaps of little kids at Hayman who made a relax by the pool impossible. (We do have kids of our own!!)

I have a friend who has been to Hayman three times - the last time as recently as October. She says the standard has slipped and she won't be going back. I would definately choose Bedarra.

Jane

3. Re: Resort Selection--Confused

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Bedarra Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.