We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

second hand car buy checklist

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
second hand car buy checklist

I'm going to look at a car on a couple of hours. could someone tell me the legal stuff as I have heard diffrent things: the car plates are from south australia and I'm on queensland. do I have to change these? how much does a rego.cost and where can I get One done? anything else helpful too plz?! I'm spending About 1-2000 dollars to get me towrds sydney

thanks

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: second hand car buy checklist

Hi Glen - to register a vehicle in Queensland you need to provide proof of a garaging address in Queensland. Otherwise you can't register it. It's possible to transfer south australian rego to Queensland, but you need to be a Queensland resident. If you wanted to just start from scratch and register the vehicle as a new registration, you'd need a mechanical inspection certificate also, but again you'd also need proof of Queensland residence.

I don't really know about South Australian rules but if you can get the registration changed to your name in SA, that's probably the best way to go. It's quite legal to drive a vehicle in Qld which is registered interstate, provided you haven't moved here. There are some rules about time periods within which rego has to be changed, but fo a bona fide traveller that won't be an issue.

However I suspect you'll have the same problem in SA as you do in Qld, but I can't say for sure.

2. Re: second hand car buy checklist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: February 13, 2014, 1:19 pm