We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenarary help required please

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
Itenarary help required please
Save

Hello,

I am not really sure how best to structure our itinerary so we are not doubling back but are also able to see as much as possible? We are also happy to do a tour for anything that requires a 4WD if it is worth seeing (e.g. palm valley)

We were able to get last minute flights to fly into Ayers Rock on Tuesday, 27 April at 1:40pm and flying out on Tuesday, 4 May at 2:15pm. We were only able to rent a 2WD car through Avis and I was able to get accommodation at Ayers Rock Resort on Tuesday 27 & Wednesday, 28 April. We were also able to get field of light passes for Wednesday night.

We are used to driving 6-8hrs of driving in a day as we have done majority of Australia as a driving holidays including outback Australia.

I would be really appreciative if someone could help me plan this as I am worried that we won't get accommodation due to how last minute this trip has been :-(

Edited: April 19, 2021, 11:10 pm
14 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
89 reviews
75 helpful votes
1. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

Thurs maybe drive alice. 5 hours via Highway.

Fri PV day trip- have you researched this- is it a must do? I love PV . Stay Alice

Sat day trip west macs stay alice

Sun alice do day sights stay alice

Mon drive KC via highway . Hike Rim in afternoon

Tues drive KC to Yulara - fly out lunchtime ish. This may not work and you may not get accom at KC.

You will hqve to backtrack as you dint have a 4wd, so you must take the Lassiter and the Stuart Highway. No way around that.

So what have you found that you want to do outside of Yulara. Its just hats to recommend end things when you have little inputs.

What do you want to see? Alice Kings Canyon, macs??

Will you be wanting to hike??

Edited: April 19, 2021, 11:34 pm
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
100 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

Fair suggestions from hamiriver

My suggestions would be something like this

Day of arrival - get car/check in, get supplies/prepare for Uluru sunset car park, visit cultural centre, probably enough time to do either walk to waterhole or Mala walk, get to sunset car park about 30 minutes before sunset and stay until 15 minutes after.

Day 2 Kata Tjuta sunrise, Valley of the Winds walk and Walpa Gorge Walk, return for booked Field of Lights

Day 3 Uluru sunrise, Uluru base walk/cycle, drive to Kings Canyon if interested - stay at Kings Canyon Resort (might be hard to book as currently going through a change of ownership) or Kings Creek Station. Depending on time of arrival at Kings Canyon and energy, perhaps do the short creek walk.

[I suggest Kata Tjuta on Day 2 and Uluru on Day 3 because Uluru is about 30 minutes closer to Kings Canyon/Alice Springs, depending on where you want to stay at night of Day 3]

Day 4 Rim Walk at Kings Canyon, drive to Alice Springs using sealed roads. Sunset at Anzac Hill.

Day 5-7 Options: Explore some of West Macs, Explore some of East Macs, Tour to Palm Valley, Explore Alice Springs, etc

Day 8 leave Alice Springs by 8am to get to Ayers Rock Airport on time for departing flight, perhaps a bit earlier if need to return car earlier at airport or in Yulara.

Drummoyne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
18 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

You have excellent advise from Hami and T-f-29a.

I will just that if you cannot get accommodation at KC either on 29th or the 3rd, I suggest doing KC Rim walk on the 29th, on the way from Yulara to Alice Springs. It is not ideal, but if you don't mind a long day, start at sunrise and you will be in Alice Springs before sunset. Allow 3 hours form the Rim walk.

IMO the rim walk is a must, even if it has to be done as a day trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

I am interested in seeing the Desert Park, East & West Macdonnells, Kings Canyon. I am a maybe on Palm Valley but only because I am not 100% sure what exactly it is beyond a valley of palms (though I could be wrong).

We are open to anything people recommend, love swimming, outdoors and we are also massive foodies as hubby is a chef.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
89 reviews
75 helpful votes
5. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

Sigh. Only a fair mark from I travel. :(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
100 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

Hamiriver, sorry for the offense/hurt - I certainly didn’t mean to at 3am in the morning.

But you would note my suggestions are similar, so self grading my suggestion would be fair as well.

OP, if you were finding it difficult finding accommodation and wanted to stay near Uluru/Kata Tjuta for another night at the beginning (night of Day 3) or the end (night of Day 7) then Curtin Springs is an option but to my mind there is little advantage because it’s not really possible to do adjacent sunrise/sunset activities in Uluru/Kata Tjuta National Park.

Based on what you have stated in post 4, it sounds like 1 night in Kings Canyon area and 4 nights in Alice Springs is the way to go.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
89 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

I was only kidding- heheh

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
89 reviews
75 helpful votes
8. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

I think you have enough info to make some decisions. There are only so many options you have in the centre as its peak and limited accom.

The food wont be a feature to be honest esp in Alice. Hanumans is best pick at the Double Tree. It is Jimmy Shus restaurant- a wonderful chef and very authentic person. He has semi retired now anyway and he has a restaurant in Darwin as well.

If you want melting pot food and asian vege market you need to come to Darwin.

There used to be a bush food tour in KC- but not sure post Covid.

Alice has a few cafes at Botanic Garden ( Thursday- sunday) and telegraph station

Couple average ones in Todd st mall .

Drummoyne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
18 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

"The food wont be a feature to be honest esp in Alice. Hanumans is best pick at the Double Tree. "

Agree. We stayed at Double Tree 3 years ago and the food at Hanumans was pretty good. Even breakfast was quite good.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
89 reviews
75 helpful votes
10. Re: Itenarary help required please
Save

Breakfast is average at Doubletree. Basic buffet, anaemic bacon and sausages- nothing special.

Reply to: Itenarary help required please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.