We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Sorry to post this on here, not sure where else to put it (I have added to San Fran Forum).

We will be visiting relatives between the ages of 20-85 and want to take some Australian gifts.

Any ideas ? I've got Tim Tams, Paw Paw Ointment, a new Vegemite called 'My First Vegemite' any others?

We will not see them until 2 weeks into our trip.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Our German friend loved his Boxing Kangaroo pen, cost around $2.50 bought in the duty free store before departure(a novelty,something very simple & different and probably 'loved' more than the oz t/shirt he also received)but i'm sure they can be found in the Oz souvenir shops.

Oz logo t/shirts found at the Australian Way(may still be called Purely Australian in some airports)store at the airport (usually 2 for $30). We have a newsagent store here called Campbells and they had packs of writing paper/envelopes. At the bottom corner of the sheets/envelopes is a drawing of a koala,kangaroo/platypus standing on a surfboard riding a wave around $2 a pack (cute, but also something useful)notebooks/diary/phone/address index with Oz themed covers, placemats/coasters.

Look in Aust Post stores they seems to have lots of gift ideas now, i've also given our German friend a keyring, made from genuine kangaroo fur found at the post office around $3.95.You don't need to go 'expensive' to find some great gifts and sometimes it's the smallest/unusual that means more.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

"I hate to tell you this but Quicksilver is an American company. It was founded and is headquartered right here in Huntington Beach, California"

and i hate to tell you this but quiksilver was founded in australia in 1970 in torquay victoria. two american surfers obtained a licence agreement a few years later to market quiksilver products in the usa.

that's how the american company started.

Edited: April 30, 2011, 4:35 pm
Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Regarding vegemite... we Ozzies tend to set up our foreign guests with the expected 'yuk!' response by spreading it on toooo thick.

Soft introduction is needed.... lots of butter and little scrappings of vegemite or half a teaspoon in a cup of boiled water for a warm beefy broth

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

I took some american friends some calculators which I bought at the airport in sydney as a last minute thought. They had australian art in bright colours and are quite small , I would say about 10cm x 5cm and slender. They were an amazing hit and I was asked to send more several times. The beauty of this gift is that it doesnt perish, is light to carry and very different .

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

You're right lien, it was Carol McDonald from Ocean Grove and Tim Davis from Torquay - 1969 actually ;-)

as re the foodstuffs mentioned earlier - these are all things I have brought into the US at various times, declared and had no trouble getting through customs. All packets unopened of course. Maybe I was just lucky.....

Totally agree with the Steve Parrish photos - the calendars are relatively cheap, easy to pack and practical.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

"Just about any food items will be confiscated at American Agricultural Control unless it is packed in a can so don't risk a fine"

that's not right either, eva.

i usually read the regs before leaving and have taken all sorts of non canned products into the usa. it's like here, do your homework and just be sure to declare them. if not acceptable they simply get taken off you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Here's an American's point-of-view: DON'T bother bringing the Vegemite unless you are bringing it as a gag gift.. Whether it is regular Vegemite or "My First Vegemite", we just won't eat it.

What we will eat is Australian sweets and you should have no problem declaring them and bringing them into the country as they will be in unopened packages and do not contain meat (which is the big no-no). I particularly love Cherry Ripes, but some people dislike coconut, so if you are unsure about your relatives' tastes, bring things like Jaffas, Minties, Violet Crumble, Fantales, Freddo Frogs, Caramello Koalas etc. (Skip the Mars bar because it is almost identical to an American Milky War bar). While some of the above-mentioned confections are available in the World Market stores here, they are prohibitively expensive!

Another good suggestion is the Steve Parrish (or any other brand) of photographic souvenirs. If the 2012 calendars are available, that would make a great gift (and they will be easy to pack).

The previous suggestions made for kids are all good. Any sort of a trinket with a kangaroo or a koala will be a bit hit as will Australian T-shirts and footy jerseys. ( I got some jerseys for my nephews when we lived in Australia and they really liked them as they were such a novelty.)

Edited: May 01, 2011, 12:16 am
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

<Just about any food items will be confiscated at American Agricultural Control unless it is packed in a can so don't risk a fine.>

Sorry LSCats, this isn't the case. I routinely bring Australian (and other countries) food products into the US and never once has anyone in Customs/Agricultural Inspection batted an eye - and yes, I declare everything. Produce and uncooked items are another situation altogether of course.

I always bring a suitcase packed with Australian products for my American family - Tim Tams, Pods, Arnott's cookies, Jaffas, Cadbury bars, Maltesers, Aussie licorice, Emu Oil cream, Lanolin cream, and Jarrah honey are always at the top of the list. Other good gifts are Aussie calendars and Aussie made tee shirts and polos.

I bring the odd small jar or tube of Vegemite purely as a gag gift... gave one away just yestreday in fact and got the expected reaction. I also bring several large sized jars which go to an Aussie friend in the US who actually misses the stuff.

The llittle ones always seem to appreciate the inexpensive kangaroo, koala and wombat themed items and I bring Bindi books for my 10 year old neice.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Forgot to mention that chocolate covered mac nuts are very easy to find in the US, wouldn't bother bringing them.

SmooOZ - that's exactly how I presented the Vegemite - advised the receipient that the trick was supposedly to spread a tiny bit of the stuff on buttered toast. I've yet to meet an American who can stomach the stuff; we'll see if the iinstructions make any difference (I kinda doubt it).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Aussie gifts for USA Relatives

Oh thank you so much!

Really appreciate the ideas and insight.

The last 2 times my American cousins came to visit me, they loved Tim Tams and took them home with no problems. So I will def. take them over.

I've got emu oil cream, lanolin, vegemite (in the toothpaste tube), some Aussie honey, clip on koalas, lots of tubes of paw paw ointment, and some coins from the post office. I think I'll go back and get some Steve Parish bookmarks, any placemats and other books at the post office tomorrow.

Thanks again

:) :)