We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current snow in trogon

london
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Current snow in trogon
Save

Hi my daughter left for Torgon yesterday on a school trip. Can someone who lives there or is there at the moment give me a fairly accurate weather forecast. It was a long journey for them and my daughter was so excited( her first time skiing) but looking at the weather reports on the Internet there is not much snow and doesn't look like there will be much in the next week, but each website is saying different. Do they have snow canons there or are there neighbouring resorts that are having more snow that they could go to in their coach. So disappointed for her and her classmates if the Internet is correct. Many thanks.

9 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,564 posts
8 reviews
37 helpful votes
1. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Hi, here's the link to the webcams at Torgon

http://www.torgon.ch/domaine-skiable/webcams/

And here's a link to the Swiss weather service

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/en/weather.html

Hope this helps.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

See here: http://meteo.search.ch/snow/torgon-snow-region.en.html

Unfortunately, it seems the lifts are not running, even though there is some snow (see webcams), but how much? Torgon, as other ski areas at comparable altitudes, are always unsafe regarding snow. But I hope they will arrange an alternative to higher regions in the neighbourhood.

london
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Thank you so much for your replies I will have a look at those links. I'm sure she will still have a great time just being away with her school friends but its still a shame, the trip wasn't cheap but unfortunately we have no control over the weather,thanks again

Korcula Island...
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
409 reviews
413 helpful votes
4. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Alfred H's link shows that the lifts ARE working (and this is confirmed by Torgon's website).

It's not the snowiest year so far, but it will be perfectly fine for learning (you say this is her first time - she doesn't need 100km of pistes). Actually, there is likely to be more snow this week but no point in asking anyone for an accurate snow forecast in the Alps in January! The most accurate one is the day afterwards!

Really don't worry. The Portes de Soleil (of which Torgon is part) will offer plenty of opportunity for them to learn to ski.

Chur, Switzerland
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Yes, since today, the lifts seem to work, horay! .. But still yesterday evening, the light was still on red and figures were missing. And today we already know there is a minimum of 5-15 cm snow ... well, not really exciting, to say the least, but this is a basis in order to provide some groundwork for the anounced snow of tomorrow! ;-)

london
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Very true jt14 weather reports are quite often very wrong. Thanks for the latest replies and as you say I'm sure the snow that's there is enough to keep a little beginner going .

Robertsbridge...
Level Contributor
1 post
105 reviews
72 helpful votes
7. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

My son has a flat in Torgon and he drove there on Friday. Although Swiss most of the skiing is organised by the French, lifts etc. This year looks like the best Christmas season for some time as the snow fell early. At1800m you could say that the resort is a bit low however the lifts shoot straight up to the snowfields of Les Portes du Soliel for some of the best skiing in the Alps. I think that you can ski for up to 30 kms. This year there should be enough snow to ski right back to the village. Let's hope that your daughter can enjoy the fine weather. The webcam can be deceptive but there will probably be more snow in the week.

1 post
1 review
8. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Couple of issues here: 1. The ask was from 2014, which if I recall correctly was a bad year for snow.

2. The information you have is hopelessly out of date, because Torgon no longer has any runs into the main village. The two main lifts to La Jorette failed safety inspections and the campaign to renovate them failed entirely, and as a result the lifts have been shut down permanently. The only lift still in operation in the village is a drag that can just about get you to a run that lets you into the rest of the portes du soleil, but to return back you must catch a bus. Unless new lifts can be built, Torgon has little hope for the future.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
55,715 posts
233 reviews
370 helpful votes
9. Re: Current snow in trogon
Save

Agree - and Torgon is a pretty dismal place with poor access by public transport as well... But there certainly is snow up there today! And more coming.

Reply to: Current snow in trogon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torgon
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.