We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

Hello all,

Do hope you are all safe & well.

We are looking at booking a centre parcs holiday (never been to one before), no idea what to expect.

The main reason looking too book Longleat is because of Longleat Safari park. We have a 2 year old that loves allll animals.

We have two under 2's so I'm not sure, is centre parcs ok for us ? I've heard it is very expensive for extra activities, never mind the actual booking. However to be fair the actual booking isn't too pricey really. A little sad as the pools won't be open, as it would have been nice for the boys to experience swimming. For those of you that have been to both centre parcs and the Safari park, if you could provide as much insight, tips, info as possible, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance

8 replies to this topic
Solihull
Level Contributor
6,245 posts
14 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

I have only had one holiday at a centre parcs and that was many years ago.

The chalets are in woods so that is very pleasant. You can of course walk or cycle round the woods.

However the only "free" thing we could do was the swimming (which we enjoyed) so if that is closed I can hardly see the point of going to Centre Parcs.

Everything onsite WAS expensive (hiring bikes, meals out etc).

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
76 reviews
112 helpful votes
2. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

We went to Longleat center parts about 3 years ago with extended family plus a baby. Apart from the lovely walks the only thing baby could enjoy was the swimming. There are a few areas with swings your 2 year old might like, but I can’t think of anything else for that age range.

I’d say if the pool is closed then it’s not worth going. You can always stay in a hotel in the area and go to lLongleat from there if you want to. Your 2 year old will probably love the monkeys jumping on the car!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
597 reviews
209 helpful votes
3. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

At the age that your children are, then this is the lowest cost time to go to Center Parcs as the swimming pool (Sub-tropical swimming paradise) and the soft play areas are included in your holiday cost.

When they get older, the range of activities that they can do adds greatly to the cost of a stay.

Self catering also helps keep down costs, but unless you only buy major brands, then do your shopping before you arrive.

The Parc is traffic free on the non moving in days (Mondays and Fridays) and is safe to wander around. The lake is in a deep hollow, which is steep to cycle out of , or walk, but plenty steps to get back up to top level.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
47 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

If you have a new or valuable car you might consider taking the bus through the monkey enclosure. The monkeys take great delight in removing bits from cars and taking them to their stash. COVID might prevent you taking the bus though.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

Thank you

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
76 reviews
72 helpful votes
6. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

I've stayed at CP Longleat some years ago. I suspect it has been revamped multiple times since, but I think most people go for the onsite safety for kids on bikes, pool area and activities (none of which are really going to be of interest to you). It might be a bit of a trek to the car park (you aren't allowed to leave your cars parked at the lodges). The lodges themselves are scattered in woodland, many overlooking small lakes (so there might be a few ducks to spot on the patio).

I'm not sure whether your heart is set on self-catering, but Woolley Grange (Bradford on Avon) and Bishopstrow House (Warminster) are very family-friendly hotels. WG certainly has a creche and lots of kit for toddlers. Both have pools.

Equally there are plenty of self catering complexes of cottages or holiday parks like Fairwood Lakes in the area if you want to compare costs.

I think we took my daughter to Longleat for her second birthday (then had a season ticket for a couple of years). 2 is old enough to be excited by the animals and they might enjoy the new under 5 play area. . I see that Longleat are putting caps on numbers, so it might be worth checking availability for a few dummy dates (especially if you want to visit in school holidays).

I can't imagine that the monkeys have forgotten how to strip cars of their trim, but there is a well-signposted drive around the monkey enclosure.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
11 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

You are normally allowed to park your car outside your chalet on the moving in and moving out days so you can load and unload, after that you have to use the outside car park.

The main attraction for me is the pool. We used to use it late on when kit was quieter. Seeing as swimming pools are allowed to open next week, is there a reason for the CP ones to be closed.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Save

Thank you all for your comments.

Having given it some thought I think if we are going to experience center parcs it should be when it is fully up and running with all amenities open.

I now have the task of finding a break away for a family of 4. I have seen some wonderful working farm holidays but fully booked! argh

Reply to: First family holiday to Longleat Centre Parcs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Warminster
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.