We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
38 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

Hi , I am looking at transport option to get from Zurich airport to Alpenblick hotel in Weggis. It appears that there are several changes and then to a bus and from there we would still need a taxi to get to the hotel. Having bags to handle and changing platforms if there are steps involved, may be difficult. I do not know the stations or what is involved.

The trains prices also appear to be very varied on rometorio website but at the higher end may end up more than a pre booked transfer.

Would I be right to consider forgetting the public transport option and looking for an airport transfer. Any advice or reasonable priced companies recommendations most appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Park Weggis
Park Weggis
615 Reviews
Weggis, Switzerland
4 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

The proper place to investigate public transport options is www.sbb.ch. rome2rio.com is an interesting site, but not an authoritative source.

When looking up schedules on www.sbb.ch know that you can enter adresses and points of interest in the planner. So you can choose "Zuerich Airport" as origin, and "Hotel Alpenblick, Weggis" as the destination. You will get detailed times and schedules.

The elderly take public transport all the time in Switzerland. For many of them it is even their main form of transport. Stations have elevators or ramps, and the buses are low floor nowadays. So there are not many steps involved. From the bus stop in Weggis to the hotel is less than 500m. Tickets will be around 30,- pp. You can buy a ticket that covers the whole route (including bus) at the airport. There is no need to buy it in advance.

Reasonably priced airport transfers don't exist in Switzerland...

Edited: July 04, 2016, 6:12 pm
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Alpenblick
Hotel Alpenblick
86 Reviews
Weggis, Switzerland
Park Weggis
Park Weggis
615 Reviews
Weggis, Switzerland
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

If you want to price a transfer, a company that I know is competitive for prices is

http://checkin-allways.com/

You might send them an email to see what the cost would be. Swiss Rail has services to assist those with limited mobility. If you go to the wesite

www.sbb.ch/en

and the services for those with limited mobility are listed under the stations and services tab. There may be sufficient services to make it possible for you to travel by train. Also, think about not taking the next train but waiting figuring out when the train/bus after that would be leaving and take your time making the connection.

Swiss train stations are not dangerous places and usually have somewhere to get a tea or coffee, etc.

canada
Level Contributor
8,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

I would take the direct train (this is wheelchair friendly) from Zurich airport to Lucerne train station, and then take a taxi to hotel. The hotel is not on level ground to walk with heavy luggage, even from the bus stop close-by.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?

Rotkreuz is a nearer stop to Weggis than Luzern on the direct line from the airport. But overall, i would guess than any train + 20 min taxi ride for 3 is going to cost the same as a taxi from the airport

Mentioned in this post
Park Weggis
Park Weggis
615 Reviews
Weggis, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Reply to: Taxi the best option from Zurich with elderly parents?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Weggis