We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Housing in Creteil for a year

Pasto, Colombia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Housing in Creteil for a year

Hi,

I may start an internship in Creteil early next year and I need to find a place to live. My only concern is the price. I am not picky, as long as it is close to transportation and safe, I am happy.

I don't know where/how to start looking. I am in the USA and I am not going to be able to travel to France before my internship starts.

I would appreciate any help,

Thanks,

-Maryju

Edited: October 12, 2010, 1:53 am
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

the company with whom you are working will have suggestions, or will help you outright with housing...if they don't, I'd consider this a significant red flag.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
2. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

Hi Maryju,

I grew up and still live in a town next to Créteil and went to University there for 5 years so I am pretty familiar with the place (I can walk to Créteil from my home!).

Since Créteil is pretty spread out, it would help to know which company you will be working for. There are all kinds of districts there, some very attractive while far more affordable than Paris. It has a métro line and several buses. It would also help to know your budget but as Sunshine817 stated, I think the company should be able to help.

You may send me a private message if you prefer.

Pasto, Colombia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

Thanks for replying.

Well, I am not looking to live right next to where I work so I guess it wasn't even relevant to mention it to begin with. Anywhere in Creteil or close by (~30 min) would do it.

The budget is another thing....let's say the cheaper the better, 500 would be awesome but probably something unrealistic, am I right?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
4. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

Your budget is fine in downtown Paris, as long as you don't expect more than a tiny studio. Outside Paris, there are fewer very small apartments therefore even though the price per square meter is less than in Paris, it is a little more difficult to find accomodation under 600 €/month, but not impossible at all either. Finding cheap accomodation is not the issue in itself. The main difficulty for tenants is proving you earn at least 3 times the amount of the rent or that you have a guarantor. This is where your company may help.

Then depending on where your workplace will be located, you can choose where to live. If it is accessible by métro line 8, you could live in Paris's 11th or 12th arrondissements, through which line 8 runs, and be within 30 minutes to work. If your company is not near the métro, then you'd probably want to live in Créteil or neighboring town along a direct bus route.

You wouldn't want to live just 'anywhere in Créteil'. Some districts are great, others depressing concrete jungles of 1960's high rise buildings. Some areas are safer than others. Once you know a little more about this internship opportunity and if you know the address, don't hesitate if you need advice on location and finding an apartment within your budget.

Edited: October 12, 2010, 10:33 pm
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
5. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

I forgot to ask you if you would accept to share a larger apartment with roommates. In which case, it would expand your choice of housing in suburbs. I found several rooms under 500€ /month all utilities included in neighboring towns of Créteil.

Pasto, Colombia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

Thanks for your comments. It is good to know that I may be able to get something within my budget, even if it is tiny and not to close to my work place, I am not picky =)

I will take your advise and talk to the company to see what they can do for me.

I will post back soon, in a week or so when I get more information about this opportunity.

Thanks again!!!

7. Re: Housing in Creteil for a year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 11, 2011, 12:17 pm
Get answers to your questions about Creteil
Recent Conversations