We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Rome by train

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
105 reviews
Salzburg to Rome by train

Hi all,

We're wanting to make a stop going from the UK to Rome and thought Salzburg would be the best, most scenic place that is completely different to Rome. So, what's the train journey like from Salzburg to Rome? Is it really scenic? Also, is it reliable? We're hearing a few stories about strikes in Europe, therefore, are we safer to fly? (Have to be in Rome at a certain date to get a cruise).

Many thanks in advance:)

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

Comments:

1. It's a long journey by train (about 9 hrs with changes). Unless you break the journey it would be too long

2. There has been hardly any strikes with Trenitalia. The French SNCF is the one on strike. Nevertheless, it is always recommended to be at the departing city the night before

3. If you route your journey via Rosenheim and Verona, the ride through the Brenner pass is very scenic, is. Salzburg Rosenheim Verona Rome

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,714 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

The train ride will widely be scenic as long as the train is in the mountains, but no idea how the views are beyond Verona and Venice.

I guess that the high speed train in Italy will pass through many tunnels, but as always, sometimes there a nicer stretches and sometimes you won't see a lot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

Thank you so much:) Super helpful!

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

There is a nice night train leaving Saltzburg at 22:02 and arriving in Rome at 9:22 the next morning. Both Couchettes and sleepers are available. Of course, this means no scenery. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

Thanks! That's something I hadn't thought of, but I think we'd really like to see the scenery. It looks amazing!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Salzburg to Rome by train

The section from Venice to Rome is mostly not very scenic. I have done the trip a few times, and most of the terrain is flat, and where it is hilly, it is mostly through tunnels.

Reply to: Salzburg to Rome by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted