We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

‘Sound of music’ tour

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
‘Sound of music’ tour

Hi, I am not sure if we should take the sound of music tour. I remember watching the movie with Julie Andrews singing on the mountain. Most important to me will be the church where she got married and the mountain area.Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

https:/…the-sound-of-music-tour

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

Thanks a lot. Didn’t know that there is more than one ‘sound of music’ tour.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,942 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

the church is in mondsee which is fairly difficult to reach unless you are on an actual tour.

there are several tour companies doing the tours and many opt for the smaller minibus tour as operated by...bobs tours, or mcm tours. panorama and grayline also do the tours and they use large coaches

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

We took the tour with Bob's Tours. We liked it because it is a van that hold 8 people plus driver and we thought more personal. You do go to Mondsee where the church is and have time to go inside. We have take two different Bob's tours and really like them.

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
279 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

Supposedly the mountain area is private and tours don't go there. You do see similar looking scenery if you take a tour that takes you to the church.

Many of the other memorable parts you have to see on foot (or pedicab tour) in Salzburg as bus tours aren't allowed to go on those old streets.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,942 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

the mountain scene was actually filmed in germany, and really there is nothing special to identify it from any other mountain meadow !

the tour also visits some areas that are shown in the opening panoramic scenes such as fuschl and st gilgen

if you are taking a tour, take the longer one which includes hallstatt. whilst not in the SOM, it is a place worth visiting !

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

I think there are 2 mountain scenes (well, 3, I guess). The title scene location with Julie Andrews spinning around and singing is on private property and can't be visited anymore. The picnic where they started singing Do Re Mi is visitable (near Werfen, if I remember right) according to internet guides. The 3rd would be where they walked up a mountain to escape was supposed to be the Untersberg but filmed somewhere nearby, I think. I haven't seen anywhere that tells you that specific location. Apparently you can see Hitler's Eagles' Nest in the background in that scene in the movie. (There are photos or videos online showing you where it is.) Hopefully I still remembered all this right - there is quite a bit of info online about where the scenes were filmed if you google it.

Mentioned in this post
Untersberg
Untersberg
1,696 Reviews
Salzburg, Austria
Nj
Level Contributor
948 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

We just got back and did the original sound of music tour with Panorama Tours, which included a trip out to the lake district and a stop in at the church they filmed the wedding. I did a video of the tour that may help:

https://youtu.be/0Hzlu82TJhs

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Panorama Tours
Panorama Tours
674 Reviews
Salzburg, Austria
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

I went on SOM tour in January. What a waste of time. I took a tour of SOM back in the seventies and it was amazing. We were taken to the cemetery the family hid from the Germans when they were trying to escape.It was an amazing tour. The tour guide in January was so annoying with her animations. She talked to us like we were kindergarten kids. Every time I hear the sound of music advertisements I can hear that women's annoying voice.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,942 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ‘Sound of music’ tour

so why was it a waste of time?

and do not forget, your perception changes over a period of 40 years !

Edited: June 15, 2018, 9:26 pm
Reply to: ‘Sound of music’ tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted