We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus rides and schedules & food stores

9 posts
Save Topic
Bus rides and schedules & food stores

Hi guys,

I d like to ask two questions. We are planning to go for one week in Faroe in July or August and we d like to make it as budget friendly as possible.

What is your experience with buses? Do they go on schedule and do they wait for each other? I ve noticed sometimes one bus comes to the station according to the schedule in the same time as the following one leaves. Simply put, is it a reliable way of transport in Faroe?

Second question is about food stores. Is there many of them or only in bigger villages/cities? Do we need to take our own food in smaller towns or we can buy our instant soup for dinner pretty much anywhere?

Thanks a lot :)

S.

Edited: June 07, 2018, 3:53 am
Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus rides and schedules & food stores

Not every little village has its own supermarket but there are conveniently and strategically placed very big supermarkets.

Buses arriving and departing at the same time will in general wait for each other. Check www.ssl.fo

Do remember that those buses are there primarily for the locals. What use would they be to them if they wouldn't wait for each other?

H_X
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus rides and schedules & food stores

Having recently returned from my trip, I'll add my two cents' worth.

I took Bus 300 from Torshavn to "Effo in Kollaf." (a gas station) in the timetable, where the 100 to Vestmanna was waiting. On the return, the 300 to Torshavn was waiting at the gas station.

On the other hand, my flight into Vagar arrived late and the last bus (scheduled 8:30 PM departure) had already left, presumably according to schedule, so I had to make other arrangements.

Besides the blue "SSL" buses, there are red buses in Torshavn and vicinity that are free. I rode the red bus to Kirkjubour and back.

Happy travels!

Edited: June 09, 2018, 3:56 am
Mentioned in this post
Torshavn
Torshavn
Streymoy, Faroe Islands
Vagar Island
Vagar Island
Faroe Islands
Level Contributor
319 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus rides and schedules & food stores

As for food stores, gas stations are the most plentiful and open generally until 11pm. They don't always have the best prices or selection, but prices are similar in the supermarkets anyway. Supermarkets are mostly called Bonus or FK, and there may be others. If you're looking for premade sandwiches, I had a hard time, only place I've found em so far, sometimes, is the gas station in Vestmanna. Gas stations are called either magn or Effo by the way.

Sandwiches are my go to lunch when traveling, so I've ended up just buying a loaf of bread, peanut butter, and voila! Bring a plastic knife or something though! Also, deli ham is called hamburgari, and chicken is kylling if my spelling is correct. They have sliced cheese too.

As for the towns, depends on the town really. In Eiði, which is a smaller town, there's somewhat of a supermarket across the street from a very cozy Cafe in a family's house, but no gas station. There's no gas station or supermarket in Gjógv as far as I know. I usually see instant soup cups in gas stations.

Hope that helps!

Reply to: Bus rides and schedules & food stores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Faroe Islands