We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage Bag

Dublin
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Damage Bag

My Air Malta flight was badly delayed & I did not get into Malta until 3am. My bag was damaged with handle broken off. There was no Air Malta staff member or representative around so I could not report the damaged bag. I checked their website & they state that "any claim must be submitted in writing within 7 days - in acceptional circumstances, a claim for damaged baggage can be accepted within 7 days as long as correct baggage receipt is produced". I found an e-mail for customer care:

customercare.airmalta@airmalta.com - I will e-mail them with details - I do not want to go all the way back to the airport with bag as it is a large suitcase & handle is broken so it would be difficult to carry. I expect this is the best I can do as I want to enjoy my holiday.

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,549 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damage Bag

Sorry to hear that. Good Luck with the claim. We lost a wheel and the case was slightly ripped. We were advised this was fair wear & tear and can be expected in transit. What a farce!

I'm a little concerned you won't get anywhere.

Best enjoy your break and put it down to experience.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 8:13 pm
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,665 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damage Bag

Take photographs of everything and send them along with your email when you get your laptop fixed not having much luck.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damage Bag

I've had differing responses from airlines to bag damage, ranging from it's wear and tear (and our baggage handlers are well trained, reviewed regularly and take great care) to being given, for free, a new bag of a similar type there and then (guy explained they do that, from a local stock, to aide onward travel in some circumstances as a service to their passengers). I hope you get it sorted. Can you claim on travel insurance at all?

Dublin
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Damage Bag

Thank you all so much for your replies. Just e-mailed customer care to-night. Won't set my hopes too high but I guess it is worth a try. Thanks again.

Reply to: Damage Bag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted