We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

I'm concerned I'm spending too much time in the car feeling rushed. I want to have a relaxed, leisurely trip and not feel too crazed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Day 1: arrive and drive to Hveragerði - privately arranged super jeep tour into geothermal region - light hiking, biking, etc / prepared lunch by river, etc.

?- Night 1- can either stay at Frost and Fire Hotel or make our way to VIK??? (if we stayed at Frost and Fire- would Day 2 be too much to accomplish without being too rushed)?

Day 2: To Jokulsarlon/Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon

waterfalls- Seljalandsfoss, Gljúfurárfoss and Skogafoss-short hikes,e tc.

ATV tour on black beach

Drive to Jokulsarlon

? Is this manageable if we stayed at Frost and Fire on the first night?

Day 3/Night 3: Glacier Lagoon Kayak tour/ Walk along blue ice beach/Hiking in Vestahorn/ Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon

Day 4/Night 4: Drive to Ion Adventure Hotel. On the way, want to explore the area and do some hiking.

Should we make a point of going to Skaftafell National Park?

Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon

Reynisfjara

Is this too much to do in one day and get all the way to ION? Would it make sense to stay at Vik and then take out Hotel Husafell and the Into the Glacier Tour?

Day 5/Night 5 : Golden Circle/ION hotel

Day 6/Night 6 - Into the Glacier tour/Hotel Husafell

Day 7/Night 7 - Head back to Reykjavik

Day 8 - Blue Lagoon/Fly home

My basic questions are:

1. How to best lay out Days 2-4?

I’d like to stay at Frost & Fire on Day 1(I imagine we will be quite jet lagged with minimal sleep from a night flight) But then I’m concerned about the amount of time in the car to get to Jokulsarlun, and having enough time to see and do everything on Day 2.

2. Is Day 4 manageable or too much driving, without enough time to enjoy the sites?

3. Recommendations for a 2 hour hike somewhere along the way...

Washington
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
48 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

Before you go any farther with your plans, be sure to check for availability of lodging on the dates you want. Frost and Fire get booked up and already is sold out for some dates. Vik might also be challenging.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
2. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

I already have reservations at all places...for extra nights until I figure things out

Washington
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
48 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

OK, then stay in Hveragerði your first night, especially if you are arriving early after an all-night flight. It sounds like you have enough going on that day without driving to Vik.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
118 reviews
97 helpful votes
4. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

Hveragerði to Jökulsárlón would be fine.

You can hike up Skógafoss along the river to see the waterfalls until you are ready to turn around.

Skaftafell also has different hiking trails to choose from and you could hike in Fjaðrárgljúfur.

I would not recommend driving to Vík on arrival day after a red-eye flight. Driving in Iceland requires 100% concentration and on narrow roads a short moment of inattention can have awful consequences.

Day 4 will be a bit of driving, but you'll have lots of daylight and can break up the drive, so it's entirely possible.

Book the Blue Lagoon well in advance if you haven't already.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46,442 posts
1,226 reviews
308 helpful votes
5. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

Your first day is already rushed, IMHO. After an overnight flight to Iceland you will be in an unfamiliar car, on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar country. The sensory overload in Iceland is ridiculous, we even feel it after 4 trips to there. Jetlag is real and it can be very dangerous.

I'd plan on going no further than Reykjavik your first day, where you can "recharge your batteries" for your plans for the rest of the days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
6. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

On day 4, will there be time to do some hiking? Any recommended hikes?

Is it worth trying to go to Skaftafell National Park while I'm in that region?

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
118 reviews
97 helpful votes
7. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

You have almost unlimited daylight, so depending on when you start your day in the morning and when you want to arrive at your hotel, there will be time for hiking.

Fjaðrárgljúfur takes about an hour. Svartifoss from Skaftafell would be between 1-2 hours.

Why don't you just see your list of things to do and see as a wish list, do what you feel like every day and if you run out of time or get tired you drive to your hotel and skip the rest?

You are planning long days. Some people enjoy having a day packed full with sights and adventures, others like to take it slow. Only you know what you will enjoy.

Personally I would skip Vestrahorn on day 3 if you need to return to Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon since it is a huge detour for you.

If you drive directly to Hveragerði on day 1 and have then booked a tour, that should work as long as you won't get on the road when the driver is not 100% alert and focused. Icelandic roads are narrow, mostly without shoulders or guardrails and a moment of inattention can mean you swerve into oncoming traffic or go off the road. So you should be sure that the driver will be able to sleep on the plane or book a room close to the airport for the night before and catch a few hours of sleep before you start driving.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
8. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

Thanks so much. I wasn't aware that I had long days planned. I'd like to take it more slowly. What would you recommend that I might take out or do differently to have more relaxed days. i'm someone who needs a nap/soem downtime each afternoon...?

Do you think I should take out Hotel Husafel and the Glacier tour adn spend the night in VIk on Day 4 rather than drive 2 more hours to the IOn hotel?

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
118 reviews
97 helpful votes
9. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

It's hard to make recommendation without knowing how much time you would like to spend at the sights. Some people jump out, take a photo and then continue on their way. Some like to take pictures for hours. Others like to hike in the area...

On day 2 most people will spend about an hour each at the waterfall locations. If you want to hike up along the river from Skógafoss you can spend several hours, but you can also turn around at any time, so it's up to you. The ATV tour I assume you want to do leaves at 10:00 am or 12:30 pm and takes two hours, and you would have to make sure you are there 30 minutes before your tour departure.

Then from the ATV base to Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon it would be about 3 hours of driving plus any other stops you may want to make en route.

On day 3 from the hotel to Jökulsárlón it will be about an hour and you probably want to spend at least an hour there. Boat tours there take about an hour with a 30 min prep time beforehand. A kayak tour will take about 2 hours in total. The drive from there to Vetrahorn will take maybe 1 h 15 and the drive back from there to your hotel will be roughly 3 hours.

On day 4 it will take about half an hour to Skaftafell where hiking will take about 1-2 hours min, depending on what trail you choose. You might also want to see the visitor center or do a glacier hike? If you decide to do a glacier hike that would take 2-3 hours. From there to Fjaðrárgljúfur it is a little more than an hour and most people spend about an hour there hiking. Then it's about another hour to Reynisfjara and most people spend about 30-60 minutes there. From there to Ion will be roughly 2.5 hours.

The rest of your plan is fine if you only want to see and do what you listed. Keep in mind that you need to add stops for fuel, eating, restrooms etc. to what I have listed. It's all doable in June, weather permitting, but only you can decide what your best travel style is.

If you want a more relaxed visit (keep in mind that this is very subjective) I would skip Vestrahorn and stay somewhere around Hella on the night of day 4 instead of driving to Ion. Just keep in mind that you will have to book tours well in advance and will have to schedule the rest of your plans around the tours. Always be there about 30 minutes before your tour departure.

Boston...
Level Contributor
137 posts
10. Re: 1 week in June- don't want to feel too rushed
Save

Do you think the ATV tour on the black sand beach is worth keeping on Day 2?

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.