We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open to Irish?

Level Contributor
23 posts
Open to Irish?
Save

I'm planning on a trip to Corfu this Xmas. Is it open to Irish travellers?

7 replies to this topic
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
119 reviews
101 helpful votes
1. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

Greece is in lockdown.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
81 reviews
156 helpful votes
2. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

You will need a negative test done just before you come, be tested again on arrival & quarantine for 3 days. Once quarantine is over there are set reasons you can leave your accommodation with permission via sms (from a Greek number only), a completed form or handwritten one with all relevant info on it. As it says above, we are in lockdown, masks to be worn everywhere, no bars cafes or tavernas open except for delivery or take away, shops closed apart from essentials such as supermarkets, pharmacies, bakeries etc, some other retail stores can operate online or phone orders for delivery or collect. Still want to come?

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

Your other difficulty is getting here. Corfu doesn’t operate as an international airport in the winter, and travel between regions is effectively banned. I don’t think it’s possible to get here. (Well, there; I’m on Paxos).

Kanallaki, Greece
Level Contributor
967 posts
54 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

You’d have to fly to Athens then onto Corfu but unless you are a Greek passport holder or have your main residence on Corfu and a Greek residency permit you would not be allowed on the flight.

We live on the mainland opposite Corfu and we are not allowed to travel there, we cannot go outside of our local area.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

I have an interesting problem brewing. As of 1 January, I can only be here for 90 days before having to return to the UK for 90 days. However, I am not particularly optimistic that I’ll be allowed on the mainland before Pascha.

Hey ho.

Kanallaki, Greece
Level Contributor
967 posts
54 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

I hope you find a solution as it’s quite a hefty fine and a ban.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Open to Irish?
Save

I hope so too. I absolutely don’t want to find myself on the wrong side of the law, but if inter-prefecture travel is still banned in March, I don’t see what I can be expected to do. Hopefully it will be relaxed before then.

Reply to: Open to Irish?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corfu
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.