We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking in July?

J C
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacking in July?

Hi! I am planning to backpack the islands (Santorini,Folegrandos and Milos etc) and Athens but I'm uncertain whether to book hostels and ferries in advance because it's the start of the high season. I will be travelling to Greece around 10th-12th July up until the 31st July- 1st August, I really want the freedom to choose where I go and for how long. Unfortunately I can't go any later in the year. How much leeway does travelling in July give you? Any advice from experienced backpackers to give to a newbie?

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
2 replies to this topic
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking in July?

There are little to no real 'hostels' in the cyclades once you leave the tourist hotspots. Instead, head wherever you want to go and ask people if there are cheap rooms available. You'll find way better deals than online.

There is nood to book anything if you travel like this and are flexible. Flexible meaning you don't need much and meaning you are prepared to take a sleeping bag and sleep on a beach or a rooftop occasionally.

Which is a blessing in disguise really- few things are as pleasant as sleeping under the stars and waking up to the sound of the waves. Persnally i have spend entire holidays on beaches in Greece. Great memories.

It's also no coincidence that thousands of backpackers do exactly the same thing every summer. Google 'free camping' beaches in greece if you want more info on this kind of hippie-esque communities. Obviously you'll find them off the beaten track.(on Folegandros for example. agios nikolaos beach is a lovely place to crash a few nights)

So relax, get off the beaten path, talk to people, and you'll have a proper backpackin' blast.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
J C
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking in July?

Thanks so much for the advice! Sleeping on the beach with the stars sounds wonderful! I definitely will give this a try!

Reply to: Backpacking in July?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cyclades
;