We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car in Switzerland?

tallahassee
14 posts
Should we rent a car in Switzerland?
Save

We only have 4 days for our return trip to switzerland and although we loved the trains the first time around we thought it might be fun to rent a car and explore on our own this time. We are arriving in Zurich and plan on going to Interlaken and some other cities. Any suggestions, ideas, stories?

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
18,988 posts
286 reviews
385 helpful votes
1. Re: Should we rent a car in Switzerland?
Save

Recommandation: Do not do too much in only four days. As you would like to visite cities in Switzerland you will feel much better going by train as it brings you in the city centers.

Having a car available depends very much on what you are going to do and the time of the year when you are coming to Switzerland. Could you give us more information?

Pore

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,501 posts
40 reviews
398 helpful votes
2. Re: Should we rent a car in Switzerland?
Save

Hi nolegirl,

Oh yesyesyes stick to the trains. As you already know, the nicest villages around Interlaken, and all the mountaintops, do not allow cars.

And a car will be a handicap in the cities -- the narrow, medieval streets, competing with trams and busses and heavy traffic, finding, fighting for, and paying for parking, etc. I can't imagine a car would be much use.

I've taken about 16 trips to Switzerland since 1995; I rented a car two times and regretted it both times.

Where exactly were you thinking of exploring that would be better with a car, I wonder --?

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
95 reviews
296 helpful votes
3. Re: Should we rent a car in Switzerland?
Save

I think it depends on what your needs are. Some people like to drive, but if your focus is somewhere like the car free towns above Interlaken or cities where parking can be a costly challenge, then it doesn't make sense. Also, there's the environmental factor to consider too, and you know yourself that the trains are enjoyable.

However, driving in Switzerland can be fun though- many people enjoy driving up and down mountain passes, or little rural roads.

I guess you should do what works best for you.

gxp
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,928 posts
31 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: Should we rent a car in Switzerland?
Save

I enjoyed driving myself in Switzerland. Stopping to take pictures, though many palces the road was too narrow.

Rented a GPS with my car and it took me everywhere.

5. Re: Should we rent a car in Switzerland?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 20, 2009, 1:30 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.