We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich Duty Free.... prices

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Zurich Duty Free.... prices

Hi - Does anyone have experience with the prices of Zurich Duty Free? A month ago my husband was there and I asked him to pick me us some lotion - basic european stuff that is in all Duty Free (we travel a lot). I didn't think to tell him the price, but when he came home he paid double price for what I can even buy it for in non-duty free stores.

Now I have a trip which I pass through Zurich on the way out and way back. Has anyone noticed a higher price for items in Zurich?

THanks!

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Best Seller
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,067 Reviews
from US$163.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,085 Reviews
from US$250.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
386 Reviews
from US$250.70*
4 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich Duty Free.... prices

Swiss prices are some of the highest in the world for branded goods (ie local market price is high because the Swiss are rich and their currency is strong). Sales taxes are some of the very lowest in Europe (ie what you save is low). So logically (and in my experience) it’s a bad place for foreign visitors to shop in duty free.

Edited: May 22, 2018, 12:53 am
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
paris london
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich Duty Free.... prices

I don't really understand what your question is getting at. Are you asking about prices in Zurich, or in Zurich Airport? Or is this just a complaint about what your husband paid? It's not clear what you bought/want to buy, nor what you're comparing the duty free price with.

'Basic' brands are not carried in Zurich Airport as far as I know. In general terms, most international premium cosmetic brands (Lauder, Clinique, Chanel, etc) are more expensive in Switzerland than elsewhere in Europe, and the typical difference between Swiss shop prices and duty free cosmetics prices is 10%. However I would be surprised if anything was as much as twice the UK price (typically the lowest price in Europe currently due to exchange rates) and by extension twice the price anywhere else in Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Chanel
Chanel
269 Reviews
Paris, France
Europe
Europe
World
Stockholm, Sweden
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich Duty Free.... prices

Thanks for feedback. I actally was referring to Sweden, and yes was 2x price in Swiss duty free airport.

It never occurred to me to send him the price to shop for... it was Biotherm, sold in most Europe airports.

I normally pick up High end brands when travel, but now I know I should just work when passing via Zurich.

No not just complaining- couriius to others experience.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Zurich
Zurich
Stockholm, Sweden
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich Duty Free.... prices

Thank you for your feedback! Very helpful.

Reply to: Zurich Duty Free.... prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zurich