We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Chocolate

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1 post
123 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Chocolate

What are the best Swiss Chocolatiers in Zürich? Are any of them close to the train station?

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,053 Reviews
from US$163.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
372 Reviews
from US$250.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from US$250.90*
12 replies to this topic
san diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Chocolate

Lindt! you can go by train to Kilchberg. tours for CH16. And you get to taste/eat chocolate. You can reserve online. We will be going on this tour June 1st.

lindt.ch/de/…

They also have a class and you sort of make chocolate that is CH80. We did this 2 years ago and it was a lot of fun. You get to eat all you want too so skip the samples in the lobby and wait til you get in the kitchen to try all the various types of the better chocolate.

If you will be going near Gruyere, they have an excellent tour at Cailler. We did it in 2016 and they let you eat all the chocolate you want at the end of the tour. The fine boxed kinds. Don't eat too much in the middle of the tour where they have a mini assembly line. That is the cheaper chocolate which is still good but wait for the finer chocolate at the end of the tour. For CH12 this was so worth it!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Chocolate

That really needs a bit more info......there are as listed above quite a few "commercial" chocolate companies such a s Lindt, Cailler, Frey, etc. and they make good "every day" bars often with flavors etc. My favorite of that bunch is Frey which is the store brand at Migros supermarket...a star rated chef put me onto it for a very good, reasonably priced chocolate.

Then t herer are the "upscale" lines of the commercial chocotales such as Sprungli which is Lindt. They have wonderful individual chocolates by the kilo. There is a Sprungli shop at the train station as well as a Migros Supermarket.

Then t here are the much more upscale chocolatiers....some are a small shop and some have shops in most of the cities. They can run as much as $100 or more a kilo but they are delicious. Your own taste is needed to decide which you like as they each have their own formulas.

I suggest you head for Sprungli at the train station - you won't be disappointed. While you're there try their Luxembourgerli....macarons like you've never had! Fabulous! If you are looking for something more affordable to take home as gifts, go downstairs to the shopping center and get Frey at Migros. I bring home about 50 or 60 bars/boxes now because my friends all place "orders."

san diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Chocolate

p.s. If you just want to buy Swiss Chocolate to bring home, try the supermarkets. They will be the most economical.

Try Ragusa!! Comes dark chocolate too. If you like nuts, this is made with hazelnut and is divine!!!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Chocolate

See Top Questions about Switzerland section 5 art 5.1

pore

Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Chocolate

If you just want chocolate rather than individual chocolates, then Laderach is a very good upscale alternative. Sprungli also excellent as mentioned.

You can buy Lindt anywhere in the world. If you’re in Switzerland you can better.

Mentioned in this post
Laderach
Laderach
68 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Chocolate

Actually I think the Lindt chocolate you buy "anywhere in the world" is not the same you buy in Switzerland. I made the error myself, thinking that it being available anywhere I can avoid carrying it around the world with my luggage already at the limit - just to find out that the one I bought in the US is absolutely not what I am used to eat here in Switzerland!

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Chocolate

I believe you are correct, Engadiner. The Lindt here in the US and maybe anywhere outside of Switzerland absolutely does not taste the same. I did a side-by-side taste test with a couple of other people and they did not know which was the bar I bought in Switzerland and which the one I bought here. The choice was the Swiss bar 100% and they werer certain it tasted noticeably better. It's preservatives, I think.

Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Chocolate

Maybe so. I don't eat a lot of Lindt although my wife using it for cooking as her preferred 75%. Is that true of Toblerone too? That just tastes terrible abroad now - it's really been cheapened. So had stopped buying it in Switzerland too.

Mentioned in this post
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Chocolate

The majority of the Lindt we get in the Uk (which is awful and to be avoided!) is made in France and Italy.

We stick with Frey courtsesy of M&S.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Chocolate

It would be interesting to see if a side-by-side taste test of Frey sold in M&S is the same as the Frey sold in Migros. JT14, if the label says it's some particular percentage most countries require that percentage so I'm not too sure how they could change the "chocolate" which is why I say it's additives, not deletions but, of course, I don't know and it could easily be both! Or, maybe, they think the taste they sell in other countries is more to the liking of the customers there? Most things here in the US arr er much sweeter than an equivalent sold in Europe but I don't necessarily mean a brand...just categories.

I don't recall if kids in the UK have "science fairs" where they do something scientific for the competiton. If so, a good science fair prroject might be to test the "two" Freys! Kids here have these fairs so maybe I'll see if I can get one of my friends who teaches to suggest it with Lindt and I'll bring back some Lindt bars.

Edited: May 21, 2018, 3:32 am
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reply to: Swiss Chocolate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zurich