We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

I am booked on a one hr connecting flt at ZRH coming from ORD to FCO. If ORD to ZRH is on time this will be fine. But it is essential I get to FCO by days end. If I miss my connection due late arrival from ORD, and Swiss only next available is floowing day, i bought a PM backup ticket on AlItalia that gets me there on time. I understand I can refuse the Swiss next day connection and use my backup. But will Swiss be able to get my checked bag to me without a hassle at Zurich so I can get on Alitalia ?

Mentioned in this post
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,054 Reviews
from US$164.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,060 Reviews
from US$252.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
372 Reviews
from US$252.80*
4 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

Interesting question. If the answer is yes, don’t rely on it happening quickly. I doubt your bag will be automatically delivered with the arriving luggage. And presumably you will be under time pressure.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

My guess is even with the late arrival at ZRH, I should have 2-3 hours to get luggage and check it on Alitalia. With bar coding at a small airport having to retrieve bags for missed flt pax who end up overnighting, I can only hope.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

If you have a return ticket then your return may well be cancelled unless you can persuade The airline to honour your return. They may reprice the ticket or cancel the return or just honour it and not cancel.

You need to know what is happening before boarding the Alitalia flight. My guess is that it will take a while to retrieve your bag. It will come to the baggage carousel. So you will need to clear immigration, retrieve bag, customs, do bag drop and then back through security. It will all take time so I’m not sure your back up is going to work.

Why on Earth did you book a short layover if you have a deadline to meet at your destination.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag

It may look stupid at this point, but when booked time had no bearing.

Reply to: Missed Connecting Flt / Checked bag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;