We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich airport car rental

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich airport car rental

I've read the most horrible stories on Yelp about all car rental brands charging $300-700 for imaginary scratches on returned cars. Not to mention complaints about service and various forms of misrepresentation. Can anyone recommend some GOOD car rental agencies at or near the airport? Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,054 Reviews
from US$163.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from US$250.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
372 Reviews
from US$250.90*
12 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich airport car rental

There is no consistent pattern to these complaints. Pick a brand name offering a good price. Check

it for scratches when you pick it up and get confirmation when you return. And don’t scratch it! Job done. The issue with being “imaginary” is that the standard in other countries - incl the US - is lower. I have been laughed at by US rental agents for asking scratches to be noted that would be considered “serious” in Switzerland.

Mentioned in this post
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich airport car rental

It will be difficult to recommend a good honest car rental in Zurich. My experience turned horrible with Sixt after I left Zurich. It was not encouraging either from beginning but I said it is me, maybe. Off course the car was not the one advertised and paid for, but an equivalent. Of course I had to wait for a good 30 minutes to get the keys and then try to find my way to the place where the car was parked, alone.

At return I spent some other 30 minutes to be told that I have to throw the keys in a box and leave, praying that no extra charges will be landed on me later on the nice vehicle inspection on their own.

All in all I was lucky, was nothing I was expecting to happen. But do not underestimate the car rental industry. I received an e-mail after one month that a traffic violation was recorded on my account. Well , I accepted without fight. A 69 Km/h speed on a 60 Km/h area. Nothing to complain, just thought this is it, I was not careful enough. Reading the mail could not believe my eyes. I was informed that the car rental company, Sixt, will charge me 30 CHF only for administration fee. Meaning only for the fact that they will send my contact detail to traffic police. The penalty is 40 CHF itself, but under no circumstances they will pay it. Even they have my card detail and they will charge me a fee for "administration" of my traffic fine. The email informed me of this in advance. Later, they charged as promised.

Naturally I wrote back to them asking why is a charge that much and why on earth they do not pay for the traffic fine. The "Customer Service" only bother to answer after my second mail reminder, simply to dismiss me. Is not for them to pay that traffic fine. I have to wait for the police to get in touch with me , if that will ever happen, or maybe after few years when the penalty will be 400 CHF from accumulated late payment penalties I will find out how and where to pay that originally 40 CHF.

So here I am, siting duck, waiting for a sign from Swiss Traffic Police, or not. Stretching my mind how to avoid a late penalty and so on.

Never it occurred to those "customer care" scientists that I am a tourist from another country, leaving just after the drop off.

But, hey it might be just me asking for a logical service or could be the fact that all other car rental companies in the world are spoiling customers and pay for these fines, charge their card later and never charge an "administration fee".

Edited: May 13, 2018, 8:31 pm
Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich airport car rental

Total nonsense. At least for Switzerland. No company pays the fee - and nor should they. They can't admit liability on your behalf, and - in line with many countries - are legally obliged to identify the driver of the car and nominate them to deal with the matter. ALL Swiss companies charge a fee for passing on the correspondence - and it is generally higher than CHF40.

Edited: May 13, 2018, 8:41 pm
Mentioned in this post
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich airport car rental

Well, about nonsense I wonder how can you be so sure. Anyway you confused the penalty itself with the administration fee.

About the acceptance of liability, is that an option? And if they charged me and sent my details didn't they already accepted that liability? Not to mention my clear position in the correspondence not to challenge the traffic fine itself.

Just thinking. Or again nonsense?

By the way, take a trip in Middle East and you can have as many traffic fines you can, they will pay for you with no administration fee. Only the fines will be charged to your card.

Edited: May 13, 2018, 9:22 pm
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich airport car rental

So in the Middle East there is no right to contest the penalty. I do believe you.

In Switzerland if you break the law, you sort out your guilt or innocence with the relevant authority. You don’t expect a car rental agency to stand in between. Speeding isn’t just a matter of money (unlike you seem to be saying for the Middle East). There could be a ban to be applied (not likely in this case if this is your first time).

Edited: May 13, 2018, 9:40 pm
Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich airport car rental

BTW check the deaths per miles driven in the Middle East (with the exception of Israel) and compare it to Switzerland. You might see that a more “difficult system” for the law breaker helps to keep the rest of us alive better.

Mentioned in this post
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich airport car rental

@marius c: Switzerland is not the Middle East. (And I’m happy about that...)

You are a clear example of disappointment because of the wrong expectations. Yes you got a different car than advertised, but an equivalent one. Guess what. This has happened to me _every single time_ I rented a car. You got a car in the category you booked, and you have no right to complain.

And that you had to pay the fine is normal too, and that the rental company charged a fee for the work they had to invest in dealing with the police is normal too. This is how it is done in Switzerland as well as in most other countries.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Zurich airport car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 22, 2018, 11:56 pm

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,246 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zurich airport car rental

Take a good bright light with you (I rather like the USB charged under cabinet lights such as these

https://www.amazon.com/RoseSummer-Rechargeable-Wireless-Detector-Magnetic/dp/B07BQTTXQ4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1526239157&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+closet+light+6%22

They will light up the body of the car while you walk around taking video with your phone. They'll also work as a very easy flashlight/torch and will turn on if you start to move in a dark hotel room....that can be nice.

Then, when you pick up the car and, even if someone there seems to be saying alll is well, walk all the way around the car and take video including the wheels and on the part of the front and back that wraps under a s well as the roof. I make a pretty big show of doing it including asking someone from the office to be with me w hen I do it particularly at pick up. If I can, I get them to move t he car to a spot where there is good light whiile I inspect it with them.

You have to be proactive and protect yourself. I've rented in Switzerland and other places in Europe and the UK several times in the last couple of years and haven't had any phantom damage bills show up. The fellow in the Avis office at T% in Heathrow showed me some scratch on a wheel rim a couple of years ago.....that seemed to fix itself when I insisted on the manager. The fellow at the same T5 office this year showed me their 'tool' for measuring scratches, etc. A simple rock chip is unlikely to get you a bill at Avis T% BUT remember that the paint can continue to come off a rock chip so take a photo of it when you pick up.

In this day and age of video cams on our phones, there's no reason to not document, document, document.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Zurich airport car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: May 22, 2018, 11:56 pm

Reply to: Zurich airport car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;