We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Leeds
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Money

I'm going to Switzerland from the UK. Is is better to get my Swiss francs when I get there from an ATM and pay by credit card or should I get some currency before I go.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,054 Reviews
from US$163.50*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,247 Reviews
from US$152.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,059 Reviews
from US$250.90*
5 replies to this topic
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,065 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Definitely from an ATM at the airport on arrival. (If flying of course!) Otherwise from an ATM at the station.

You can use Visa, Mastercard all over Switzerland. Some merchants require a purchase of 20frs or more to use them so having a little cash helps. But don't get CHF in the UK. The commissions charged there will make this very expensive. Just bring your home bank card and withdraw money as you need it from your home GBP account.

Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

It’s not the commission charged that makes it expensive, it’s the poor exchange rate. Almost everywhere in the UK claims to be “commission free” but of course it’s just wrapped up in a bad exchange rate. Amazing that it is still allowed to advertise like that - but don’t believe that commission is the cost to avoid.

Edited: May 23, 2018, 3:58 pm
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
41,065 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

So - whatever they call it, changing money in the UK is not a great idea!

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Well exchanging physical cash anywhere really. The UK is pretty advanced in marketing multi currency card links to an app etc. And my UK bank is generally less greedy in exchange rate than by Cantonal Swiss bank. The problem is that the bank apply a rate at the time the transaction hits your account. So you never know exactly what it will be. But it will be cheaper than almost all the options where you are offered “certainty”. It’s this issue and associated fear that is exploited by dynamic currency conversion, and bureau de change.

Edited: May 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
333 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Leeds
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated.

Reply to: Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted