We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Zurich

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
24 hours in Zurich

Hello TA community,

We will be making a short stop to Zurich this summer - just over 24 hours. Our flight lands at 9pm (from Venice) on a Monday, and leaves back for the US at 6am on Wednesday. I have a few questions:

1. In this short time period, should we spend the day exploring Zurich, or take a day trip to Lucerne/Mt Rigi (recommended by a friend)?

2. Is it necessary to arrive at the airport 3 hours before our international flight, given that our flight is so early in the morning? (We have a 4 hour layover in Portugal, with the same airline, booked on the same ticket)

3. Would it be better to book a room in Zurich near the city center and catch early transportation back to the airport, or stay close to the airport and take public transit into the city center during the day?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,965 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Zurich

1. I think Luzern/Mt Rigi could be a nice way to spend the day. Zurich is a nice city, but it's a business city, and doesn't give you much perspective on the natural scenery which makes Switzerland so famous. Lucern will also give you the feel of a Swiss city.

2. No. I doubt TAP's check-in will even be open at 3am. Maybe not until 4am. Sadly TAP doesn't do night before checkin like Swiss does. That would have been perfect for you. Assuming you're checking bags, 4.30am is plenty early.

3. It would be very nice to be able to enjoy the old town of Zurich the night before, and you could do that by staying near the station. However, it isn't easy to get to the airport by train for a 4.30am check-in. You could go for the Radisson Blu at the airport (connected to the terminal), but I wouldn't go for any other other airport hotels. They take nearly as long to get to the terminal as it would do with a taxi from the city centre at that hour of the morning. Staying 2 nights at the airport hotel isn't ideal, but changing hotels is clunky. Pros - easy to get to/from the plane from the Radisson. Cons - clunky to return to the hotel on the Tuesday if you want to come back from Luzern and freshen up before a dinner in Zurich.

Edited: May 12, 2018, 6:00 pm
Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Mt. Rigi
Mt. Rigi
1,965 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
336 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Zurich

We are actually flying Swiss Air, just happen to have a layover in Portugal. Sorry I didn’t specify. With Swiss air, we are able to check in the night before the flight?

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
336 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Zurich

I don’t think you are flying Swiss. The morning flight is operated by TAP even if it has a codeshare with Swiss. Swiss allow you to check bags the night before. TAP do not per the airport website. I imagine that the rule follows the operator rather than the ticket seller. Only Swiss can confirm.

And you’re not flying Swiss Air either. They went bankrupt 16 years ago.

Edited: May 13, 2018, 3:26 am
Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
336 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Zurich

Thank you, I will confirm with the airline

Reply to: 24 hours in Zurich