We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Crash

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car Crash

Hi Guys,

Not a good day today- we have a hire car from Avis that we collected from Rome Tuesday, we have a villa in Sarteano and have driven a fair bit around Italy so far incl Rome/ Florence etc

We were warned prior that the said ‘driving standards’ do not match that of the UK but saying we have had a few close calls would be an understatement.

Today our fears came to life on a country windy lane in the hills near Pienza we travelled round a bend to a car just stopped in the road nothing around it, this resulted in us colliding into the rear of the stopped vehicle at around 30mph. I’m not doubting this is our fault btw. Some minor whiplash injuries to our party along with about 3k worth of damage to our 1 week old Mercedes Hire car that has 125km on the clock. Gutting aye!

We took the all singing and dancing insurance out with Avis- just wanted to know what they are likely to say/ anyone else had any exp with accidents? we rang them and they noted it but thinking we are going to have to leave super early now on departure as this could be a painful experience handing it back.

New bumper, bonnet, drivers wing and headlight is what looks like needs doing.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sarteano
Sarteano
Province of Siena, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,065 Reviews
from US$106.10*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,264 Reviews
from US$106.10*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,567 Reviews
from US$100.20*
US$134.40
4 replies to this topic
Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Crash

Sounds like it's still driveable; that's good. Great that you got the zero deductible insurance. Peace of mind is worth a lot of money.

London
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Crash

I had an accident in Germany. (not my fault). The police attended, took statements (in English). Hertz, without begging, opened the nearest office- it was a bank holiday, and gave me another car. When I returned the replacement car to Frankfurt airport, Hertz simply took the paperwork and I went and boarded my plane. The full insurance might seem expensive, but at these times it is worth its weight in gold.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Crash

Glad that it seems you are ok. Full coverage with no deductible should be straightforward but watch out for charges after you get back home.

Australia
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Crash

Did you follow procedures for reporting accident, get information on the other driver.

It’s a lesson in defensive driving for you: never travel at a speed preventing you to stop in space visible. Nothing to do with driving in Italy.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Reply to: Car Crash
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted