We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

Hi! I'm going to be in Florence towards the end of July and wish to use this opportunity to visit at least one Tuscan valley if not more. Is Vald'orcia one of the most beautiful? And do I need to base myself there or in Siena for a couple of days to make this visit? Would anyone have an alternative suggestion? I am looking to find myself amongst scenic beauty and vistas (sunflower fields for eg. or something equally incredulous). I'm a thirty-year-old and would be travelling on my own during this leg of my trip. Please advise. Thank you :)

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,457 Reviews
from US$105.30*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
805 Reviews
from US$105.30*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,436 Reviews
from US$105.30*
6 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

The Val d'Orcia is one of the most beautiful certainly, dotted with picturesque little hill towns, castles, churches. However, although you may come across the occasional field here and there, in general it's not an area in which sunflowers are grown. For these you need to head slightly further north to the Val d'Arbia or go east to the Val di Chiana. You could base yourself in Siena and day trip but if I were you I would stay in the countryside at one of the many beautiful villages in the area.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,688 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

I very much like the valley of the Serchio river, running north from Lucca, which has a number of interesting small towns and some lovely scenery.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

Thank you so much for your thoughts. It would be great if you could share some suggestions with me in terms of which area to choose to explore the scenic side of Tuscany. I can definitely consider the option of staying there for a couple of days. And while you mention any suggestions could you also tell me if it's going to be too far from Florence, as that's where I will be for the first two days.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

I would rent a car and stay in a place like Montepulciano or Pienza for a few nights.if you are talking about this July it would be good to book accommodation soon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,009 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

Well Florence is the main city of Tuscany, so you will already be in Tuscany. There are good train connections from Florence to other towns in Tuscany, but for seeing the smaller towns and valleys you would ideally hire a car or perhaps take a small bus tour of the area.

However, end of July may be late for sunflowers. When we saw them earlier than that near San Gimignano they were already at the dry and harvestable stage.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley

Thank you very much to all of you for your suggestions :)

Reply to: Want to visit a beautiful Tuscan valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted