We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in october- torrential rain and lightening storms

Watford
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
weather in october- torrential rain and lightening storms
Save

I will never believe weather sites again - I visited Sicily with my two sons in Oct half term 2007 and I have never encountered such rain and lightening storms in my life. We visited for 4 days and spent them in the hotel as it was too dangerous to drive in the torrential rain. I spoke to someone on return and they had had the same experience two years prior so it's not an unknown phenomena.

The hotel was without electricity when we left and we were just glad that the flights were able to take off - so beware relying on travell sites weather - I think that they paint a rosier picture than reality!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
127,899 posts
1. Re: weather in october- torrential rain and lightening storms
Save

Sicily had horrific weather this past autumn - October and November! Not just rain, but snow in higher elevations!!

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,771 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: weather in october- torrential rain and lightening storms
Save

The problem is that weather sites report the averages, which are made of typical weather and extremes in both directions. People who live in the northern hemisphere temperate zones know very well that the weather in April and October at home can be warm, cold, sunny, rainy, or anywhere in between, but they still ask, "What will the weather be like in Rome in March?" The average temperatures really don't tell you what the extremes might be like or what your chances are of encountering rain.

Winter and summer are always more predictable than spring and fall, but even then, there are possibilities of extreme weather. My husband and I have sometimes participated in a renaissance pageant in our town in July. One can reasonably expect July to be hot, and in fact we usually were sweating in those velvet costumes. However, one year it was so cold that after dark, when I was seated where no one could see me, I wrapped my train around my shoulders to keep warm.

3. Re: weather in october- torrential rain and lightening storms

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: August 24, 2009, 5:19 pm
Get answers to your questions about Sicily
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.