We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?
Save

Hello, Trip Advisor friends!

1) Thank you all so much for your kind advice over the years. We are just about to embark on a 13 day trip to Campagnia, Basilicata, and to Puglia, and I couldn't have laid out such an exciting trip without you!

2) swimming. I love the water! I swear I might be a reincarnated ocean otter! ha! I see that the water temp near Monopoli and Otranto in the beginning of October is likely to be 73F (23C) degrees. That's soooo much warmer than I am used to at our favorite East Coast beach. But, I am aware that our Italian hosts may get concerned for our health. So, is it common for Italians to swim in early October? Or, will they think we are nuts?

Thank you so much for your input!

3 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
22,725 posts
50 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?
Save

While the Italians may not be in the water at that time of year they are well accustomed to seeing German tourists swimming into October.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2. Re: Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?
Save

Excellent! Good to know we won’t be alone! Thanks for the response!

Puglia, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?
Save

Sea water is warm enough in the first half of October,

The only probiem is the wind, if you meet a 'maestrale' (or 'tramontana') day, getting out from the water,

Reply to: Swimming in mid- to southern Puglia in early October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.