We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colliseum construction

Henderson, Nevada
3 posts
Colliseum construction
Save

I read a story about the Colliseum having a floor installed that is projected to take 2 years to complete. I am planning to visit Rome in Sept 2022 and was wondering if the whole interior of the Colliseum will be inaccessible.

5 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,653 posts
760 reviews
1,300 helpful votes
1. Re: Colliseum construction
Save

Quite honestly, I think you'll need to come back and ask this question in summer 2022 -- its is way too far off to know what the situation will be in September 2022. Also, even if construction is going on, the "whole interior" of the Colosseum should not be effected.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
110 reviews
119 helpful votes
2. Re: Colliseum construction
Save

According to the BBC yesterday the project won't be finished unti 2023, but lots of these projects get delayed for all manner of reasons. When I lived in Italy an art gallery I used to go to was partially closed for repairs & renovations - 10 years later nothing had changed. The main collection was closed and a revolving selection of works was exhibited in a portion of the building. Like SSA, I don't believe the whole of the Colosseum would be closed completely but even if it was there is plenty more to do in Rome. I know it sounds like heresy, but I've never found the Colosseum interior to be that interesting - there are much more interssting things up on the Palatine Hill & in the Forum.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
47 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Colliseum construction
Save

Good information provided regarding Colosseum delays, as any/all significant restorations or repairs to an ancient landmark will take far longer to complete than the scheduled timeline, as too many issues arise prior to the completion.

One plus is that you can visit Rome in 2022 and enjoy this amazing city, then come back a year or two later, which is what many of us have done (do) year after year. To me, Rome and Italy are like an unquenchable thirst, satisfaction is temporary. I return to Rome, again and again, to to feed my soul!! (I'm not referring to religion or any faith.)

Chieti, Italy
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo, Lazio, Emilia-Romagna
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
456 reviews
21,778 helpful votes
4. Re: Colliseum construction
Save

I do not agree. Then we could also completely restore it and bring it back to its former glory. Probably also revive the gladiators and the fighting to the last blood in the arena

Will it be the same Colosseum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5dQgMUJwPE

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
12,653 posts
760 reviews
1,300 helpful votes
5. Re: Colliseum construction
Save

Every year they catch a couple of totally disgusting idiots defacing the Colosseum or other treasured monuments. I do not have a problem with making them fight it out in the arena on a pay-per-view channel, with funds going to the upkeep of the Flavian Amphitheater. (Yes, this is a joke, although the problem of people defacing monuments certainly is not.)

Reply to: Colliseum construction
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.