We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my accommodation area safe?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

Hi, I've booked accommodations near the University of arts and science museum and museo delle arti saniterie on via Domenico Capozzi.

Based on google street view the area looks a bit dodgy so was wondering if this is a safe area to be in? Thanks

Best value hotels in Naples
Santa Chiara Boutique Hotel
Santa Chiara Boutique Hotel
#3 of 221 hotels in Naples
Week-end a Napoli
Week-end a Napoli
#1 of 221 hotels in Naples
15 replies to this topic
SLC
Level Contributor
87 posts
1. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

I have stayed in the area a few times and felt safe walking around. Why do you think that it looks dodgy?

New York
Level Contributor
49,473 posts
2. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

Have you been to Naples?

I've stayed not far from there a few times - maybe you are not familiar with the narrow streets and the graffiti that is pretty much every where in Naples - You are close there to some very interesting sites to visit -

Australia
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
3. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

Well yes, it’s different from Vancouver. But is an extraordinary city, the biggest and richest in Europe two hundred years ago, before they lost the tax power at the unification of Italy.

You will be staying at the uphill end of the ancient city as laid out by Greeks and straightened a bit by Romans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_dei_Tribunali,_Naples

The historical centre is the largest in Europe and is a UNESCO world heritage site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples

Some atmospherics

https://youtu.be/pIrKADAY0CA

https://youtu.be/GxB0LJblDng

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

As I used to always tell people considering a visit to Naples - the city doesn't necessarily make the best first impression. And the areas of interest to tourists can look "dodgy" to some because of graffiti. A bit of street smarts may come in handy, but rest assured that area is as safe as any other part of town.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
34 reviews
127 helpful votes
5. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

It's a very historic neighbourhood which happened to the be the theatre district in the Greek and Roman Neapolis, it's actually a citadel within the city where many buildings are built off some portion of ancient theatres or other public buildings. And there are some great things to see, besides the museums you mention, like the church of Gesù alle Monache, open only for a few hours each morning: it's tiny but there's a triumph of stucco, majolica tiles and some great altar paintings by Early Modern Neapolitan masters.

And there's this great shop too:

https://www.neapolitanischekrippen.com/

BUT as enthralling as it is to the eye of the curious minded, it's still an area which mostly features dilapidated buildings, with tiny, intermingling streets and poorly lit at night. You're theoretically a few minutes away from the tourist hubub of Spaccanapoli, yet it seems a world away.

You can do better. If you're a first timer and/or will be solo-travelling you may want to avoid it.

Dennis, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Naples has never been "the biggest and richest city in Europe". For sure not "two hundred years ago".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
6. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

No I've never been to naples and yes I noticed the narrow alleys and graffiti and thought it may be dodgy. Looked like a real worn down area on google street view. It's good to know that's just how naples is

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
34 reviews
127 helpful votes
7. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

Naples is not all that way of course: some districts are even worse, some are definitely better. The important thing is to research carefully.

That specific street and those in the immediate vicinity do not look as the most polished ones, but just a few metres away there are safer areas.

Edited: April 26, 2021, 1:58 pm
Australia
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
8. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

#5. Kuroneko thank you for correcting my estimation of late Bourbon Naples. Then largest after London and Paris. I must have been in Naples when I first made the overestimation, a decade ago. :-) Around the time I wrote

http://duemesi.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-about-bronte.html

You will see reference there to John Santore’s documentary history of Naples. The most useful history of anywhere I know, as summary plain introduction.

As regards the original question there is an entirely different international traveler world in accommodation near the Palazzo Reale and Teatro San Carlo. Those places have not interested us not our budget either. Certainly a search for accommodation unrestrained by price will offer much more.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
14,287 posts
132 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

I am not a fan of Naples because of negative experiences. Having said that it is a great city with great museums and very very different culture. One needs to take all the precautions against petty theft and especially pick pockets. Do not stand out and/or make yourself a target. A money belt is a must for your cash, credit cards and passport. No jewelry and not even a back pack and even avoid a purse or bag. You should be fine if you don't set yourself up as a target.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
10. Re: Is my accommodation area safe?
Save

you're a hundred meters from Forcella that doesn't have a good reputation. Go to Vomero or Mergellina

Reply to: Is my accommodation area safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naples
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.