We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Trains

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
31 helpful votes
Italian Trains
Save

Hello. Assuming vaccinated Americans will be able to travel to Italy in July, I have a trip planned. A. 2 nights in Naples. B. 2 nights Rome, near the Vaitcan. C. 3 nights Florence. D. 3 nights in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast.

We're wanting to travel by train. It appears there are many options and it seems a bit confusing. Any suggestions on which trains to take? We're going to want to take the high-speed train from Florence to Amalfi Coast. Other than that it doesn't necessarily matter if we take slower trains (Naples to Rome and Rome to Florence) since they're more economical. Is it better to take a high speed train from Florence back to Naples or Salerno when trying to get a taxi ride away from Ravello? Can I buy all tickets at one bundle or will they need to be all one-way individual tickets? I've heard it is better to buy in advance. Thank you for your suggestions!

Il Piastrato
₱, Italian, Steakhouse, Mediterranean
Januarius
₱₱ - ₱₱₱, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
Sea Front Pasta Bar
₱₱₱₱, Italian, Mediterranean, European
11 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
49,473 posts
1. Re: Italian Trains
Save

There are no trains of any kind one the Amalfi Coast; you can take a train Florence to Salerno then a ferry to Amalfi and the bus and/or taxi up the mountain to Ravello. OR you can take a train Florence to Naples then car service to Ravello (about 2 hours from Naples) - the ferries are much faster and nicer way to travel along the coast. Again: no trains at all on Amalfi Coast

Look over this website to get a good idea of the various types of trains - it has photos, info one the fares, types of trains etc - https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-italy.htm#.VQnm4EuFVSU - Seat61 is an excellent resource for anyone planning on using the trains there -

You can look at www.trenitalia.com and/or www.italotreno.it for train schedules - schedules usually change a bit in June - be sure to read the terms and conditions of any fare you decide to select if buying in advance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
36,419 posts
2. Re: Italian Trains
Save

Slower trains are not necessarily more economical. High-speed trains purchased at reduced advance prices are sometimes cheaper than the fixed prices of the slower unreservable Regionale trains, which have no reduction.

Also, not taking a high speed train between Rome and Florence will give you a very significant time penalty - the high-speed trains take around 1.5 hours, but the slower trains (which run on the old line) take around four hours. You may think this is not a good use of your expensively purchased vacation time. A journey from Florence to Naples or Salerno not using high-speed trains would be excruciating.

Tickets will all need to be one-way single journey tickets, but if desired you can buy them all online in advance. Each ticket can be for more than one individual if desired.

There are two train operators, the publicly owned national operator https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html which is currently running considerably reduced high-speed schedules because of Covid, and the private operator https://www.italotreno.it/en which is currently running almost no trains at all because of Covid.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
48 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Italian Trains
Save

That's an awful lot of moving around, once you've had a look at the train schedules you'll see how much time you'd be spending getting from place to place vs. actually being there.

Also, where would you be flying into and out of? That may impact the order of your trip.

Edited: April 20, 2021, 6:55 am
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
81 reviews
72 helpful votes
4. Re: Italian Trains
Save

Ditto that your flights may influence the order of your trip. For example, you may reconsider the idea of starting in Naples and heading north, then having to reverse all that way again to finish in the Amalfi Coast.

These are also really short stops with a lot of moving around rather than "being there".

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: Italian Trains
Save

I'll be flying in and out of Naples. So the first 2 nights there and the last night there.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
31 helpful votes
6. Re: Italian Trains
Save

Thank you

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
49 helpful votes
7. Re: Italian Trains
Save

If you can, it would save a check-in & check-out if you make the AC your first stop and save Naples for last. It’s only appx 90 minutes by private transfer (traffic permitting) from NAP to Ravello. Get over jet lag there in the peaceful surroundings before hitting the cities.

IMO, the fast trains operated by Trenitalia and Italo are they way to go. We don’t have anything like them here in the US so, at least for me, they are a highlight of my trips.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
109,850 posts
16 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Italian Trains
Save

I think you should look into an "open jaws" or "multi-city" ticket, flying into Rome and out of Naples (or the other way round). In normal times, such tickets usually cost very little more than a return ticket.

So fly into Rome and look around, then take a fast train to Florence (90 minutes). A fast train from Florence to Salerno takes just under 4 hours, and you can take a ferry from Salerno to Ravello. End up in Naples and fly out.

Trenitalia does now offer some train passes but, looking at the prices, I doubt that they would be worthwhile. See https://www.trenitalia.com/en/offers/trenitalia-pass.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo
Level Contributor
71,470 posts
181 reviews
182 helpful votes
9. Re: Italian Trains
Save

I love Florence. However, with a rushed trip like yours, 3 nights are too many unless you plan to take a day trip to Siena or other places in Tuscany.

In fact, I suggest you spend at least 4 nights in Rome. Visit Florence as a day trip. That way, you don't have to pack up and move hotels as often.

Australia
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
58 reviews
106 helpful votes
10. Re: Italian Trains
Save

Using http://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/it.html you can begin to shape your trip. You must allow more time than just train time to change base: get up, argue, pack up, eat, check out, find the station, wait for the train, trip time, find out how to get to next accommodation, check in, wonder why you came here, left the other place so soon.

We would perhaps just visit one place in the time you have. Soak in a place, wander, relax.

Anyway, map it out allowing the real time to get from A to B. The planning is great fun when you begin to get to detail. Expect perhaps to write out six plans one after the other, put them aside, start again. Do allow time to recover from flight. Do allow free time, to discover the unexpected!

Reply to: Italian Trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naples
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.