We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Army on streets of Naples?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
Army on streets of Naples?
Save

I'm chilling on a tiny beach in the Pallonetto area. Lovely. Anyway, i notcied last night when i was out in the main strip there was army everywhere, also where i am now, and along the way. Does anybody know why? Terrorism, mafia?

Level Contributor
1,565 posts
13 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

I guess it's the anti-terrorism measures. Quite normal in all crowded spots, nowdays, and nothing to worry about.

New York
Level Contributor
49,473 posts
2. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

Some has been there for years, more so in the past few since the terror attacks using vehicles in London, Barcelona, Marseilles - You will see them in Rome and elsewhere. I've seen more in both in the past 12 months -

No, not there for the the "mafia" - in Naples, it is the Camorra, not "mafia" - unless there is a specific action going down at the moment.

Relax and enjoy beautiful Napoli!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
34 reviews
127 helpful votes
3. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

@Momcat Camorra is our local mafia, but it's still mafia. The content is always the same, just the names are changed. In Italian for instance we often say "le mafie" when we generically talk about the issue. You can call it 'ndrangheta, camorra, Cosa Nostra etc. when focusing on local issues and specific clans, yet it is not wrong talking about generic "mafia" when talking about Naples, Calabria, Puglia, whatever.

Of course to the Italians Mafia par excellence is always Sicilian mafia, but it's still a very flexible world. and we tend to be quite indulgent to foreigners using the m word also when they're not specifically talking about Sicily.

Eagle River, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
13 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

It’s very normal these days.

https://www.difesa.it/EN/Operations/NationalOperation/Pagine/OperationStradeSicure.aspx

Edited: 2 years ago
New York
Level Contributor
49,473 posts
5. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

Yes, I am aware of that re: the names. I was merely pointing out the name for Naples. Most people know it is the same ilk of criminals and that "mafia" is the catchall name.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
50,082 posts
758 reviews
238 helpful votes
6. Re: Army on streets of Naples?
Save

Well if they are there then you would feel a bit more safe.

7. Re: Army on streets of Naples?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: June 26, 2019, 12:19 pm
Get answers to your questions about Naples
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.