We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate 1 travel

hickory nc
2 posts
1 review
24 helpful votes
Gate 1 travel
Save

Has anyone used gate 1 travel for a trip to italy?. Could you rate them for me, as I will be traveling to Italy in April 2005. How are they as a Tour Operator?.

new jersey
9 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

Hello, we used Gate1 in May for our trip to Italy. We went on the Rome/Pompeii/Florence tour..... I'll give you a quick overview of likes/dislikes. Overall I liked them, but I'll tell you a few things to watch for. Our hotel, the International Palace, was wonderful, we loved it! They even gave us the one balcony room they had.....I think the trip to Florence was a waste of time. We left early in the morning and got back late, but really didn't see much of Florence. When you go to lunch, the restaurant gives you NO choice.... we do not eat beef, and that is what they were serving...they made us feel like second class citizens since we were on a tour... they said 'no, you get what we give you!'... how rude! Pompeii was great, we loved everything about it.

They advertise breakfast every morning, but with the bus picking you up around 6:45-7:00, the restaurant is not open... so you don't get to eat until lunch. They did not have a tour guide at the hotel to help..... the restaurant refused to open early even for a cup of coffee! That is the only thing I didn't like about the hotel, but other people on the tour said the same thing about their hotels, so I think Gate1 should inform guests of that fact and not advertise it!!

I think their prices are good, the times they gave us for flights were perfect... We loved British Airways. Gate1 seems to always fly you into London first, then down to Italy, no direct flights... hope this helps...

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
142 helpful votes
2. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

Hi! We have used Gate 1 Travel on our trip to Spain/Portugal in Nov 2003 and then to Italy in March 2004.We will be using them again on a trip to Central Europe next year. I don't have any complaints with this tour company. They plan their itineraries just right and give you time to explore on your own. They are actually reasonably priced compared to other tour companies and their optional tours are also a great value.

From LAX we've taken Lufthansa that flies directly to Frankfurt, Germany and then transfer from there to the country we will be going to.

It may be better in the East Coast, but when we did take British Airways this summer to go to Scandinavia, they had lost my husband's luggage, and we did not receive it until 3 days later..This maybe was just my experience, but a co-worker of mine who went to London this past August and flew with British Airways from LAX, had also lost their luggage. Customer service, when losing passenger's luggage, is not the best with this airline. Hopefully, you will have a better experience.

Have a great trip!

South Orange...
4 posts
3. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

I will be interested to hear how your Gate 1 Tour to Italy is in April as I will be taking the Gate 1 Tour to Italy trip in June 2005. Please post any tips or hints as this is my first time there.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

Sandy, We are thinking of using gate 1 for an april,2006 Italy trip-first time. What was your experience with the company/trip? Hwo many people were in your group?

Toronto Canada
1 post
1 review
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

This is a request for information. Has anyone used Gate 1 for eastern Europe, eg Budapest? The price looks too good to be true and I wonder whether it is too good to be true.

Carol

orange county
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

I took their land tour in 1999 and went to Budapest, Vienna and Prague and really liked them. I am also a travel agent. I then booked 2 clients in that summer on the same trip and they were not happy campers. As other threads have indicated, they changed tour guides in mid stream and there were too many people on the tour, I almost think that they were more interested in quantity(perhaps in the summer) vs quality. I have been hesitant to book them and tonight wouldn't you know I get an e-mail for 12 to book one of their fall river cruises!! I could be wrong but I think their off season tends to be better in terms of customer service. The itineraries are great and the price is wonderful so I am trying to be as objective as possible. bgb88@juno.com

orange county
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Gate 1 travel
Save

I took their land tour in 1999 and went to Budapest, Vienna and Prague and really liked them. I am also a travel agent. I then booked 2 clients in that summer on the same trip and they were not happy campers. As other threads have indicated, they changed tour guides in mid stream and there were too many people on the tour, I almost think that they were more interested in quantity(perhaps in the summer) vs quality. I have been hesitant to book them and tonight wouldn't you know I get an e-mail for 12 to book one of their fall river cruises!! I could be wrong but I think their off season tends to be better in terms of customer service. The itineraries are great and the price is wonderful so I am trying to be as objective as possible. bgb88@juno.com

8. Re: Gate 1 travel

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: September 08, 2009, 6:19 am
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.